Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: twisted slings
Reply #15 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 7:43pm

perhaps 1 braided cord with S-lays  and the other with Z-lays
for the individual strands.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

zmix3
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #16 - May 5th, 2015 at 6:08pm

I have a sling that spontaneously twists and if i twist the release cord btwn my finger and thumb before i throw  its not much of problem.

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #17 - Oct 29th, 2015 at 4:24pm

I 've confronted 2 different situations :
1.During the braiding i pull more with one hand.
2.Using a not twisted sling ,at the end of the throw just before releasing i strangely twist the wrist ,after some throws the sling becomes twisted.To fix this just fix your throw.

*or you could use a round braid
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2017 at 9:58am by johan »  

IP Logged

johan
Funditor

no longer active:keep
the flame of slinging
alive

Reply #18 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 10:13am

i haven't solved this problem yet.

almost every sling (if not all) i made the last months are twisted before i even use them
i use 3 strand braid
i tried pulling more with one hand and the twist of the sling was always the same (counterclockwise not clockwise) regardless the side i was pulling the most

i've begun to think its caused from the twist of the cords i use for the braids

some solutions i read are good but temporary

i'll experiment more on producing a clockwise twist by braiding

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #19 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 10:16am

I've had a similar problem with 3 strand braid. Tightening up the braid and trying to ensure all the cords are re-twisted as they go into the braid has helped mine a bit as has pulling the braid back to a straight position every now and then as I'm going through it. I find after a bit of use and wearing in they usually end up ok.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #20 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 12:14pm

This is a skill I. Braiding to create perfect tension so they don't twist or kink up. Maybe try not to pull everything so so or even to pull tighter if you're braiding loosely.
To fix it once it has happened, wet them and twist them the other way and hang them with a weight on the end to create tension

IP Logged

Alex.Ost
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Freiburg
Reply #21 - Jan 11th, 2017 at 2:47pm

Oh.....all of my Slings look like this....at least all of the ones i made myself.
But to be honest i´m not very careful with them. I always carry them crumbled in one of my pouches of my backpack. I thought it wouldn´t do them much harm.

Also i still cannot manage to get a continous braid when i do them myself. I allways wind up with a "curvy" Sling.

IP Logged

okapimike
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #22 - Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:26am

johan wrote on Jan 11th, 2017 at 10:13am:
i've begun to think its caused from the twist of the cords i use for the braids

This is what I've found through trial and error. I was tensioning each strand by twisting it into the braid as I laid it over. Try keeping the fibres lying parallel and not twisting each strand as you braid and the sling will lie flat.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris)