Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible Events Sub-Forum (Read 3766 times)
woodssj

That lake isn't going
to fill itself, y'know...

'Round & about, Here and there
Possible Events Sub-Forum
Apr 12th, 2015 at 2:19pm

Hello!

A bit of a thought has occurred to me, since I used to be very much in the business of event planning and coordination: We are a decentralized, amorphous, and, frankly, insane group of people here. We rarely get together for events, but there should be a page here for exactly that: Events.

We don't really seem to have a real database of people's locations (And we likely shouldn't) but it would be a great thing for an events page to be started, with each event having a formula for the post title. An Example would be:
"22AUG15 NY New Paltz COMPETITION AND GATHERING." 
This gives immediate information in the order of precedence: The date first, so you know immediately if you can even consider the event.  The State/Country/Region, so you know if it's near enough to make it if the date is clear, followed by the town or city for fine-tuning the location. Then, you have the type of event.

A formula for the first post of the information required (Date, Site, Possible Lodgings, Schedule of Events, Etc.) should also be come up with.  I can gladly make this Template for the site if you'd like me to.

With all the events, both possible and definite, in one place, it would be possible to actually figure out where, when and how frequently larger gatherings would be workable, and get Slinging out in the public eye more.

Events to include aside from strictly Sling Meets would be things like Ancients Alive, at Locust Lawn each August (22-23 this year) in New Paltz NY. It's a Classical Reenactment event, mostly, but we fit in there, and would be a major attraction. Similar events involving Romans, Greeks and other ancient Peoples across the world would be the perfect place for Slingers to meet, spread the hobby, and educate people.

The International Meets would be nice to know about in advance as well, and would fit in this section of the forum nicely.

With such a section, I don't expect to be able to get 500 slingers in one place at one time. I do, however, expect that 5 or 6 slingers might be able to meet up more frequently, more reliably, and more enjoyably, since it will be easier to find out about these events ahead of time.

Just my thought for the moment. Thank you for the consideration.

Confused Archaeologists are the best Archaeologists.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Re: Possible Events Sub-Forum
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:11am

i like the idea, i just don't think there are many people near northern Illinois for me to sling with. Sad

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 6:38pm

I think you might be surprised. I shall do some research this coming weekend, when I'm not too pressed for time, and I'll start getting together a list of possible places across the country for people to show up with slings.

I think it would be awesome to have at least the data out there, even if no one shows up.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 7:05am

good idea - should tie into the new international slinging federation section. when i get it finished Smiley

But no problem with setting up a sticky thread for events in the meantime.

Or using the existing competition section to include general events.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

woodssj

That lake isn't going

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2015 at 7:09pm

I would personally prefer a universal Sticky Thread in the headers, since it will be viewed more often. And, coming from the Event-Planning and Management field, the number of times it's seen is a huge factor. It will prevent these things from getting lost in the meantime.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2015 at 3:16pm

think that's what I did Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner)