Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Adult Starter Kit (Read 4879 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Adult Starter Kit
Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:57am

Here's the idea. Let's pretend we're launching a young adult into the world. We have a decent sized chest that we can fill with things to help him/her start making her way in the world and will hopefully be useful for many years. Like a hope chest- but updated and cool.

Each post adds one item to the adult starter kit.

First thing I'll put in is a 12" cast iron frying pan. Possibly the single most useful tool in my kitchen. Stir fry, Pancakes, French Toast, Fried eggs, omelettes, Skillet cornbread, Chicken breasts, even some deep frying. In a pinch you could do soup or water. Can transfer from the range to the oven. Darn useful.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: Adult Starter Kit
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 9:06am

I'll up the cast iron ante ... 12" dutch oven with tripod legs
and a lipped lid so you can use it with Smiley coals if needed. Does all of the above Plus baking.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 12:42pm

An empty journal to document all the important milestones. And to learn from past mistakes so they don't remake them.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 1:46pm

A good sling.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 11:04pm

A good cookbook.  The Joy of Cooking.  I got a new copy for my 25th birthday.  It still is one of the best gifts I ever got as an adult.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 6:40am

Good quality kitchen knives, and the knowledge on sharpening. A dull knife s the most dangerous thing in the kitchen.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 10:28am

A year or two ago I did a fair amount of research into properly using kitchen knives. The consensus was you need 3: a paring knife, a boning knife, and a chef knife. That will take care of your needs. Unless you plan on making a pineapple look like an owl, that's probably all you need  Grin

I'll drop a sharpening system in there: course, med, and fine.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:46pm

A good set of washcloths and towels. Boring, but one of the few high school graduation presents that I still use. (But the cast iron skillet and knives would be my first and second choices.)

If it has to be cool, I'd opt for a moderately sized tool chest with a multitool in it. As needs come up, anything that the multitool can't cover can be bought and added to the bag. That was my first house warming gift, and it was also a good one.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:47pm

A house Smiley

Actually The best thing I had when i went to college was a microwave oven.
Wasn't into gourmet food back then. So a microwaved sausage sandwich went down a treat.

I guess today the most important thing would be an up to date smart phone with unlimited data and texts and a satellite uplink so they were never out of contact.

Some of today's yoof go catatonic if you take their phones away. (and one slinging.org mod does as well whistle)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 3:55pm

A set of quality drill bits.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 7:47pm

a drill for the drill bits.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

IP Logged

paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Reply #11 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 6:48pm

A good 9mm Glock. Everyone should have a self defense weapon. unless they are insane. In that case, a straightjacket.

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 10:59pm

paracordslinger wrote on Apr 4th, 2015 at 6:48pm:
A good 9mm Glock. Everyone should have a self defense weapon. unless they are insane. In that case, a straightjacket.

A good sense of humor, lol by the way on the second part.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 7:10pm

If this was for an American adult leaving home for the first time, and who had been raised around guns, I could get behind a Glock. Otherwise, I'd put in the most effective means of deterrence allowed by local law. I did give my sister pepper spray when she left home.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:12pm

A good pocket knife, and a Bible

1 Samuel 17:50

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)