Send Topic Print
Slings in Japan (Read 7361 times)
Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Slings in Japan
Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:44pm

A recent thread mentioning tsubute--a type of shuriken that was basically hand-thrown stones--rekindled my interest in this topic again. And this time around, I seem to have found some new stuff.
Since my Japanese isn't yet good enough to handle kanji, I'm just going to paste the native URLs alongside a Google translation of any interesting paragraphs. I'm also including the keyword that brought it up, for anyone interested in playing detective as well:

石合戦 (Stone battle)

Brought up this blog post explaining the history of a battle/revolt in the area that involved ample use of slings against a better-equipped professional army.
http://ameblo.jp/no-bon/entry-11619873453.html

I've included the text run through Google Translate below, since it was surprisingly coherent.

Quote:
Although had been made appropriately run country road from morning today, I found a relatively new honor monument in Henhoji. I have the "Yimin Kihachi of monument".

1768 (1768) result Kameyama clan that has been ordered to Moriyama inn entertainment and Fujikawa dredging of Korea delegation from shogunate, Now that you have huge debt, and tried to Shinogo by the tax increase, in opposition to this Kameyama Ryo 83 villages of the farmer was caused a riot.
It is convened statement of uprising I-sen village of Mayumi NagamigiEmon wrote at that time.
The "come September 13, the boys from fifteen-year-old eighty-three Ke-mura Hirose field until the sixty-year-old get together. five people in one Ke-mura, three people hatchet, sickle, saw, hammer things, such as bringing . Also, shalt be your bring in depicts the mark of the village with a Kamihata to bamboo pole, also tableware and a three days' worth of food is also available that. Murakata official instructions be ignored.
Your province eighty Sanke village jointly Hirose No-gen Courtesan "
And Hirose No-gen chanter is the name of the fox of legend called living in Hirose field (part of Nobono). You will to hide the mastermind.
There are many peasants who gathered to Hirose field, but soon began armed demonstration, riot is the moving body to increase by moving. You continuously stormed next to the village but, by requesting a riot participation of one person in the family, and then bake it or destroy a house if you do not answer it. In addition to the wealthy farmer and Fusho to obtain the submission of gold and rice and sake, you or burn or destroy it and this also rejected. Bring tool in convening statement rather than as a weapon, I is for this house knocked, never to kill people in the uprising.
You have of course clan soldiers crush is out, but be not out hand in riot bias. You associate immediately bamboo spear and say riot, but the main weapon was a sling called mark areas (sling). It's no that does not close even samurai that was armed with sword and spear from This will have thrown a lot of stone.
This marked area is different from the material in the times and places, the basic is universal. The right side of the photo is cut in half the rag, but is one that gave the string at both ends, the length of the string is made to be as much as 1m from 50 centimeters, so that you enclosed in the arm by one is even longer. When this to release the hand and turn round and round to put the stone like a photograph stone flew much momentum better than throw by hand, tool will put in the remaining immediately following stoned I'll Yes enclose the arm. When progress seems to be able to skip a stone farther than bow and arrow.

However, although it is to throw for a fixed aim I training is required, So you good because everyone by turning round and round from childhood are playing by throwing stones. Although it is dangerous, so is a festival that is willing to throw this in stone along the coastline was in from around Southeast Asia, on the day of the child's May 5 in Japan was sandwiched between the river in the village against, and cried big ill of neighboring village In there is a custom of each other throwing stones at the mark areas, depending on the Tokoro seems to have remained until 1945 around. Oda Nobunaga was this is by pulling the evil brat by the time of the child, to see the stone battle with Abe when Tokugawa Ieyasu has become a hostage to the Imagawa, saying it's decimal but win is better that there is leadership and momentum It is a famous story, such as was. Such as in the water fight even if the adult seems there was also that settle in this, also comes out dead and bad plants per naturally. For example, some years Yoshihiko Mr. Amino prior to deceased historian is looks wrote in detail about this mark land, is disgruntled at every thing in the capital of the Middle Ages Kyoto to Goso brandishing a sign land, historically people It is the largest weapon of rebellion, it has been banned from policymakers many times.

and well made it a powerful weapon because you are throwing a big stone and has the Takeda army stoned troops, it has been known that in the battle of Mikatahara made a chance of victory destroy the Tokugawa military vanguard in this, but, where the Since farmer that was recruited in the army allow you to type mark land, war It was natural to start from stoning battle. Align the Murofushi of players such like, all at once to shock if hits even wore it because I throw the stone of about one fist 2 armor is greater. Ashigaru is not a helmet to protect the only head, it is also said that because of this stoning measures to suffer a wider Jingasa.
5,000 more to bloated uprising bias can kick scattered clan soldiers in stoning, gathered in Anoda Kawahara near Eastern Kameyama Station now mansion is knocked you ran away, 訴文 request is out to unless the Edo listen to suggestion box When throwing to the ultimatum. Kameyama clan 60,000 stones Shibun three hundred dozens, in about 600 even if the general mobilization in graduation worth two hundred dozens of Ashigaru accessories, attack hide the 150 people of gun Corps behind the now of East Elementary School You have to prepare for, but it will be chaos After earnest conflict. And the part of some to Komono Domain had mixed of riot, Kameyama clan has a enclave territory to Wakamatsu of Ise Gulf, because we encourage the revolt also there, with even mind mind Kobe clan of path , not including the two clan to fear spread of riot, also offer the reinforcements Tsu and Kuwana clan. Riot bias is not only farmer I'll snatch the food money and goods one after another from Fusho and wealthy farmer, the poor of the rushed clan inside and outside to hear the rumor has also joined many, will that had led to social unrest.
Was afraid of things from becoming large Kameyama clan refuses their offer, but farmer for you because you may be Kaieki as Kanamori house Gujo clan When sued to shogunate in riot side, eventually the situation out of control I accept the request. Tax increase is send-off, we dismiss the village headman who is dismissed five relationship official. Also, have the archery teacher of the clan, the Ikuta physical Saemon that was popular in the farmer is to Sakuji-bugyō, but takes an active part in the subsequent water utilization and civil engineering work, after its story.
And as peasant side leaders of riot, June 13, 1769, I-sen village Mayumi NagamigiEmon, Henhoji village Kihachi, three of Ogisu village Kihe has been Zanzai in Anoda Tsutsumi. Also Kokufu village Uchida Nizaemon was died in prison, by Toka learned Gungaku in Edo when young, have been cut also Ooka Teramura of Edoya you were directing the uprising bias strutting the strategist.
Hey is very Japanese-style solution (Happy)
There was to farming union of Henhoji is a monument to honor the Kihachi. Although there was a Kameyama cultural heritage expert committee Kawado wave 斯生 Kenno on the back, and I wonder stood by the personal burden (^ _ ^).
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2015 at 6:51pm by Donnerschlag »  

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Re: Slings in Japan
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:53pm

石合戦 (Stone battle)
Here's an interesting part of a painting that seems to be showing some people harassing troops(?) by chucking stones, one of which is armed with a sling. Sadly I can't exactly discern more from this.
http://yamada.sailog.jp/weblog/2014/05/post-6692.html

inji.jpg (16 KB | 198 )
inji.jpg

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

Portland, OR
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2015 at 9:57pm

石合戦 (Stone battle)
Modern use of slings, with a more sizeable description of the sling's use in the Japanese Warring States Period:
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/0422213485/e/db2da0f20583f30149caf4fe4a2431e1
Apparently a slinger chimed in on the page's comments, and even laments the utter lack of slings in Feudal dramas, despite their supposed prolific use in the past. Cool (I'd love to see sources on this) 

Yet more Google Translate:
Quote:
Tactics to fight by throwing a stone, stone game, side game, but is said to be the ancient tactic is also called a stool warfare, apparently method of throwing a stone to the Warring States Period According to the historical facts to kill the opponent has been used . The army Tadashi like you are transmitted to the Yoshikawa house, the year that turbulent began the Ōnin, Kyoto fight in those who were injured, the most spear wound, Yakizu: sword gravel scratch in the next scratch most less. In Izumo battle of 1563 (1563), gun wounds 32: arrow 6: Gravel 5: is described as a sword one
seems to have had to be each other throwing stones at a time when gun battle has spread.
Recently but Mimiatarashii a news report people of China were stoned to Japan diplomatic missions, it has not been reported much
as fact, ---- Vietnam northern Quang Ninh Province and the river on the border of China Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region
and across, '04 3 month, the Chinese side began the embankment construction, from the fact that Vietnam has laid the sediment close to claiming the country territory, Vietnam side broke it. For this reason the Chinese side is placed about 500 people plainclothes soldiers and workers from the banks, the internal 200 people began throwing stones across the river of width 20m in Vietnam side. Vietnam side returned fire, stoning battle was fought from morning till night.
The respective residents who under participation, that rewards and San-shoku has been provided.
In the demo, etc. that occur even today in many parts of the world, stoned a lot, is downright unbearable feeling of "stone" is used as a quick weapon of people.

-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 6:44am

Oh wow - slings in japan !

Next china Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 12:39pm

Strange that we hear so little about them in Japan. Japanese warriors embraced weapons like the bow which were considered more of a peasants weapon in the west. I guess in that sense the Japanese were more pragmatic and logical in their undestanding of war. One would think that same mindset would translate to the sling as well. But perhaps not.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 1:16pm

Hey, don`t forget this old thread Wink http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1243702863/0

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:41am

Good find!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)