Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What got you into slinging? (Read 7275 times)
AndrewShepherd
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

What got you into slinging?
Mar 2nd, 2015 at 9:48am

I am curious how some of you here got into slinging. I got into it from a video game I used to play called Pitfall: The Lost Expedition, the main character uses a sling in the game. I also got into it by the story of David and Goliath. What about you?

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Re: What got you into slinging?
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 2:53pm

I was on Wikipedia reading about fortifications which led to siege engines which led to slinging.org.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 4:07pm

Books like Redwall and wheel of time got me interested and my friend telling me of how his dad used to sling and be able to shoot sunflowers.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 4:26pm

Flaubert, Salammbô.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 5:18pm

Several years ago I watched Mr Livermore on the History channel and I was hooked, especially after discovering this site.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

nwmanitou

Utah, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 7:02pm

my cousin got me into it when I was about 5 years old.

IP Logged

vetryan15
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Northern Maine
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 10:03pm

I was a member  of a different  forum, and someone from this forum was on there posting  his videos of himself  slinging,  and it was about the time i was getting into all primitive  weapons and living skills.
RRyan

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #7 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 11:47pm

A friend, legos896 to be exact, he in introduced me to slinging around April 27th. After our first hobby which, was blowguns, I started that hobby, then around late May this past year I started practicing whipping, I learned how to plait whips how to do many different cracks and how to make different whips. Although we had many different Hobbes slinging, and blowguns stuck, blowguns are still in the background and I am still slowly improving them. Slings on the otherhand we have been improving over the past year and I think finally we have found the "perfect sling" that's what I use in most of my videos, it's sort of a balearic sling but with a different type of string. That was a bit to long sorry, hopefully you guys got my point.  Smiley

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

TobyC

if life gives you lemons
sling 'em back

palisades, NY
Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 7:38am

my uncle who used to be a really good slinger, and still makes bows and arrows from a tree in his backyard.

when injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

IP Logged

Fëanor

Slinging rocks.

Stockholm, Sweden.
Reply #9 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:38pm

The TV show survivor got me into it, watched and got pissed off about all the whining about food and no one doing anything about it. So I toyed with the idea to apply and in an old army manual I read for research there were instructions for making a sling. Made one and old Aussie sent me one too, good old Aussie. May he rest in peace.

On the Swedish coast   With Russia in the distance Slinging at the bear. (4accord done it) "Mind must be firmer, heart the more fierce, courage the greater, as our strength diminishes."  The old warrior Byrhtwold during the battle of Maldon in 991 AD.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 7:58pm

Reading David and Goliath and watching Clan of the Cavebear

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 8:23pm

I don't really remember, but I do remember finding this site, and getting hooked

1 Samuel 17:50

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 3:59pm

Left arm doesn't work quite right.  Can't squirrel hunt with an atlatl.  Found this site and been here since.

IP Logged

Zamorskym
Tiro

Slinging concrete!

Czech Republic, Mělník county
Reply #13 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 4:07pm

2-3 years before I started slinging I had made a crappy sling and had been trying to throw stones in the way that many ordinary people think the are slung - rotate the weapon as fast as possible over my head.
Then I met Rome Total War and its Rhodian slingers mercenary unit. Ancient warfare attracts me a lot but swords and bows are quite common and known as well as expensive. So I somehow learned fig8 and could sling 50-70m which was unbelievable for me(I can throw 40-50m max by hand)- Then 100m, 160m, 200m with biconical clay and in the end 250m with biconical clay and good wind  Wink

2 years before i started I and my family had been to Rhodos. Unfortunatelly not slinging. When i talked about Rhodos again, it was "democratically" rejected  Cry

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 12:34pm

David & Goliath story  Cool ... made first sling as a pre teen ... couldn't get it to work  Shocked (ammo too large for pouch) and stones would fly off in any direction plus I thought it needed to be wound up like an airplane propeller  Embarrassed (Wrong) .... shelved the Idea until I blundered across this site... now I have 15 - 20 If I can locate them all. Wink (most 550 and leather or nylon strap). It has led me to Kumihimo and other braiding and now I'm doing a very slow slide into spinning. Smiley

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)