Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What got you into slinging? (Read 7303 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: What got you into slinging?
Reply #15 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 3:49pm

Started when I was 11 if I remember correctly. Broke a window and nearly killed several people in my naivety including myself several times. I was hooked.  Slinging is the only hobby I have that I never get bored of.  I am a hopeless addict and proud of it.

IP Logged

JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 5:07pm

Sad to say a man I met. He was charming and whity and without knowing it I became totally besotted with him. Well to cut a long story short, I foolishly accused him of something he hadn't done and I lost his friendship. No second chances with him. My fault for not trusting him. My weakness.

I still think about him. Still miss his emails and funny messages. He was someone special to me at a special time in my life, and I always smile remembering the pride and excitement he had teaching me all about slinging. A great guy.

No Entry. Works In Progress.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #17 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 4:03pm

70's me annoyed, when I threw stones in such a short distance. Then my friend presented sling.

IP Logged

MarionS
Novicius

Handicraft Rocks!

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:21am

I don't exactly know  Grin
Of colurse I knew of David & Goliath and had read all Ayla books, but I wansn't really hooked.
I remember having read on Wikipedia and visited the German website fundamittere, where I found some interesting braided and woven slings. Had some old sisal cord left and tried myself.
Looks like I have a good hand for crafting slings, just need some more practise to shoot with them.
Er, some more years. A decade or so. Like that  Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015 at 12:51pm by MarionS »  

IP Logged

mightyhunter85
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 12:43am

The bible. Always wanted to be as good as the Benjamites. Never could throw with my left hand, though. Also 2 books called The Coral Island, and The Far Side Of The Mountain. Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #20 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 8:35am

I find myself drawn to the time when we were hunter/gatherers, not as a survivalist type thing;  more like getting back to our roots.  There was a time when we gathered all of our food, medicine, clothing, etc.. from nature.  I'm not claiming that as an old 21st century man I'd be fit to survive in such a time but still that era of human development intrigues me.  Of course the sling was a very important weapon/tool to early man and remained so until the 15th Century.

IP Logged

Lummox
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 8:59pm

Dungeons and Dragons introduced me to slinging.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:28pm

I just sold a sling to a 50 year old lady who told me that same thing Lummox Tongue

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:04am

funny, maybe its a sign!
just kidding, or was i?
lol i'm done now.  Cheesy

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Cavemanzhi

Teaching stones to fly!

Cambridgeshire, UK
Reply #24 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 11:37am

I shared this story in my intro post, but I found a post by CanDo on another forum while trying to research slingshots. I think it said something like "forget slingshots, try slinging!"  I was intrigued and whipped up a sling the same day from a guide I found here on slinging.org. 

"Sir, that guy is stealing stones from the rock garden again."

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #25 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 5:04pm

Blowgunman123 wrote on Apr 21st, 2015 at 1:04am:
funny, maybe its a sign!
just kidding, or was i?
lol i'm done now.  Cheesy

Funny thing women with big boobs make good slingers I've found. Let's just say she was a very good slinger for a beginner Wink
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2015 at 6:26pm by HuntsmanSling »  

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

6thMichCav
Tiro

USA
Reply #26 - Jul 8th, 2015 at 8:28pm

The late Peter Capstick wrote several books on big game hunting.  At least once, he mentions his trackers slinging stones into the brush to flush or locate an animal.

At the time, I was bemoaning a rotator cuff injury that reduced my once-prolific throwing arm.  I started underhand to protect the rotator cuff, but practice and slinging.org quickly convinced me that proper technique was plenty fast and usually more accurate than any application of power.  So, I tried helicopter and couldn't time the release. Figure 8 wraps my arm too high on my shoulder for comfort (mine, not yours).  I probably throw the farthest with a hard Baleric, only about 130 meters with a basalt stone the size of a small egg.

I think I sling semi-sidearm Greek?  It's the closest style to a baseball pitcher I can think of.  After all, they are some of the fastest and most accurate hurlers in the world--why not make use of similar (and highly analyzed) mechanics?  Plus, sidearm is easier on my shoulder over time.

Alas, I digress. 

Changing circular motion to tangential, one rock at a time.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #27 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 6:24pm

The movie King David!

IP Logged

Dusansky
Tiro

blah, blah, blah...

Slovakia
Reply #28 - Jul 18th, 2015 at 4:42pm

Hello! Im new here. I sling approx 1 month and it is great fun... i think im addicted on it. What got me to the slinging ? Im traditional archer for a long time. But nowdays i cant shoot in free time cuz with my bow it is very dangerous to shoot on the garden, so i use to shoot on field but the fields are now full of corn so im out of archery. So i though like hmm, I cant shoot there cuz I will lost arrow... soooo why not sling rocks ? there is more rocks then corns on those fields. I mean nice oval rocks. So i tried sling. and I was surprised by its power. after one week I was very happy that i hit the football goal on 60m! Now Im here and looking on your post and learning this art of slinging rocks. : ) and sorry if Im not very good with English

IP Logged

ChristianSlinger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 6:18pm

David and Goliath and Rome total war

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, vetryan15)