Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
softening leather after dip dying (Read 1173 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

softening leather after dip dying
Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:45pm

Hi all, I've got a piece of leather I dip dyed with fiebing's oil dye and it dried out stiff as a board. It's veg tan BTW... Anyway, I had used some lanolin oil and even mink oil to soften it but its still pretty bad. At the moment its on a plate soaking in fiebing's leather balm atom wax. 
Is there anything else I can do to save my piece? It represents a lot of time creating the template and cutting it out in detail and I don't want to give it up if I don't have to!
Thanks for any advice in advance.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: softening leather after dip dying
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 9:19am

I threw it out. I'm disgusted Sad

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 4:44pm

Strange that an oil dip would harden leather. Was it really hot oil? I don't know. I'm no expert when it comes to leather working.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2015 at 9:45am

I thought I posted a long paragraph yesterday about this. Shocked

Anyways, here goes again.

Adding hot wax to dry leather is one way that armor used to be made.

When I was trapping and curing hide, after I scraped all the membranes and fat off the inside and let them dry, they were hard as boards.

To get them soft, you had to start when they were still damp and pull them across something with right angles, like a board.  A well anchored board.  This is also when you would add your lanolin.  And I would do this until it was dry.  And don't forget to work the edges.  This is the part of tanning that is the most physical, it usually took a couple of hours to get the hide soft enough to use for clothing.

For a smaller piece, you could use something like the edge of the table, just make sure you clean up afterwards, there is going to be lanolin everywhere.  But, you will have very soft hands... Grin

I an pretty sure that there are UTube videos showing how to do it.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 8:46am

Yes, if I had worked it while still damp it wouldn't have started cracking on me. I must say, its impressive to hear you took the hide from the animal and went thru the whole process Bill.
Did you sell the hides or make stuff out of them?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2015 at 4:14pm

I used to make stuff out of them.  Google Moundville.ua and look at the figures in the displays.  If there is a hide used in clothing that still has the fur, I had something to do with it. 

But not that buffalo hide.  Thank goodness.  It took four or five of us to tan one, we used the top of a board fence and pulled it back and forth.  And pulled.  And pulled.  And pulled.  Then we would stop and take a breather.  And then we would pull some more.  Great total body workout. 

I couldn't move the next day.   Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)