Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Overkill with Tungsten-Alloy Bullets (Read 6668 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Overkill with Tungsten-Alloy Bullets
Reply #30 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:02pm

Tungsten is for sure the way to go for damage. Can't think of anything better personality.
Love to see a bipoint glande machined from it.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #31 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:41pm

Rat Man wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 2:33pm:
I sling river stones and golf balls that I find. I am a very frugal man.

Right - thats tungstens one and only disadvantage: If slung and threw away you have to seek, to find and get it back again. Otherwise you become really a really poor man. But when loosing simple stones then you lost only what was lost already long and ever (or in other words: "... then you lost only that what never can go lost. All rocks are kept well by mother earth).

But always running for slung away tungsten (while slinging) makes at least a very lot of "extra mouse meters" Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #32 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:50pm

I have trouble finding my rubber practice ball let alone a piece of tungsten spearing into the soil.

But alas I still want some.

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #33 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:57pm

Mersa wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 5:50pm:
But alas I still want some.

Me too - I want to have some more, because to have only four balls any longer (already lost one) and slung them away makes me always extremly nervous.

So slowly I see: Timpas offering to make and sell some small bipointed cylinders perhaps is the fastest and cheapest way to get some, because making cylinders with to points is not so tricky like making perfect round balls. Making them at least for more rounded "glands" then could be done by everybody himself.

The only question then: Is he able to make such bipointed cylinders also from tungsten (type: Heavy metal "class 4" - only "class 4" has density 18,5)?

"class 1" = Tungsten heavy metal of 90,0 % tungsten (+ iron & nickel - density: 17,0)
"class 2" = Tungsten heavy metal of 92,5 % tungsten (+ iron & nickel - density: 17,5)
"class 3" = Tungsten heavy metal of 95,0 % tungsten (+ iron & nickel - density: 18,0)
"class 4" = Tungsten heavy metal of 97,0 % tungsten (+ iron & nickel - density: 18,5)

(Alloys with copper falls not in these "classes" and have a very little reddish color like weak reddisch silver what I find a very "ugly color")

Table / Image from Website of Fa. Negele Hartmetall Technik / Germany:
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:13pm by Apex-apoc »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #34 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:12pm

Well timpa if you are manufacturing tungsten bipoint glandes I'm sure me and a few others would be interested.
I'm not as fussed on the percentage of tungsten. I would personally rather the more durable (less brittle) tungstens.

Can't seem to find the cutters to make the tungsten carbide ammo in the photo. Is there a more specific name for them.
I like the ease of build and look of them too.

I find myself always thinking how to best improve distance and density always comes to mind but I think shape and surface area/finish are maybe just as important. Because really density is only helping reduce drag by reducing the size of the shape while keeping weight the same. And at a certain point the surface area will be small enough that the material used may be negligible.

Bipoint or sphere of same volume.??

High polish or rough????

So much to it all

IP Logged

Apex-apoc
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

nahe Nürnberg (Germany)
Reply #35 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:29pm

Mersa wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 7:12pm:
I'm not as fussed on the percentage of tungsten. I would personally rather the more durable (less brittle) tungstens.

But these "cutters" are made from tungsten carbid what has denstiy 14,5 - 15,0 g/cm3 "only". That's doesn't matter to you?

"Zugfestigkeit" (engl.: tensile strength) of 830 MPa is already (little) more than tensile strength of non-hardend (stainless) steel. So some less hard tungsten would be much more "shoc-resistent" - right when smashed at rocks.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #36 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 8:17pm

No not really . Lead is around 11g/cm3 so anything more than that's an improvement.

I agree that 18.5 is better than 15 but to be honest distance throwing is my least practiced and also the easiest to lose the projectile. Once I find a area worthy of such attempts I may be more interested in the BEST possible distance ammo but for now my desire for tungsten is for humane hunting glandes.

This way the ammo can sit in my ammo pouch until I feel a worthy attempt. Small game such as rabbits (a major pest species in Australia).Even if the day never comes I'd rather have suitable ammo I never use then a hit with insufficient force.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark)