Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sharp atlatl weights? (Read 3675 times)
ninja-slinger
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sharp atlatl weights?
Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:19pm

I have seen pictures of stone weoghts attached to atlatls for more power.  This gave me the idea of moving the weight up to the end farthest from the handle, and using, say, a tomahawk blade instead of stone.  Now the user is left with a backup should he run out of darts.  Has anyone done/heard of this?

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Sharp atlatl weights?
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 7:50pm

That would take A LOT more effort to throw.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 7:24pm

You are talking about banner stones yes?   I am no authority on atlatls, but I think Bill Skinner said that they are used as a sort of weight compensator to balance a "loaded" thrower, not to add power.  But I see no reason why you couldn't add more deadly melee features into the atlatl.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2015 at 3:03pm

It is a counter balance weight.  If you move the weight too far towards the tip, you overpower the dart when you throw and cause the dart to porpoise very badly.  It does not go as far or penetrate as well.

You might could put a blade  or spike down by the handle and hold the hook end, however, an atlatl is pretty whippy and flexible, I don't know if you could get much power behind a blow that wouldn't break the atlatl.  It might work with a throwing board but they aren't very thick, either.

And your blade would probably have to be at a 90 degree angle to the hook, or you would cut yourself when you threw.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 4:12am

I agree with Bill.   Of course that doesn't mean that you shouldn't experiment and try to find a way to make it work.

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 8:47am

I use bannerstones on my basketmaker-style atlatls. Here is my Dad's:

My little Brother's:

Both are about 2 inches long.

Other styles of atlatls may hold up better to being used as melee weapons, but some are just too fragile. Also, the weight--as I've used it, and seen it used--is fastened securely near the handle end. Even a small weight like these, when it comes loose and slides to the top as you throw, will just about jerk the atlatl out of your hand.

Now this is my opinion, and as such should be considered the Doctrine of K'Jev and taken as such (as an opinion), but the idea of a large weight on the end of your atlatl would make it much harder to throw, and much harder on your arm.

On the other hand, try it, film it, and post it, and see what happens.

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2015 at 1:23pm

The doctrine of Morphy agrees with you. Smiley

Similarly when I see people using their bows as melee weapons in movies I cringe. A small knick in the back of a bow is all it takes for a catastrophic failure. Granted, the fact that it's an elf swinging a bow at an orc doesn't phase me. Just the part about it being a melee weapon.  Wink Personally I am skeptical that atlatls were ever used that way except as maybe an experiment that would not of caught on.

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 11:37pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 22nd, 2015 at 1:23pm:
Similarly when I see people using their bows as melee weapons in movies I cringe. A small knick in the back of a bow is all it takes for a catastrophic failure.

So you're probably not a huge fan of "Arrow?" where the entire city is infested with Robin Hood/Ninja super heroes who shoot like Lars Anderson, then proceed to bash and whack each other with their bows?  Shocked

Its...interesting. Personally, I put so much work into building my bow, I get ticked off if I even drop it. Deliberately smacking something with it is unthinkable.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:41am

Haven't seen it but it sounds very "interesting". As you put it. Actually, can I just put aside the political correctness for a moment and say it sounds like it blows. No offense. I just need to say it.

Not against the whole comic book fad we are currently in. I can't wait to see the new Avengers but I think I will pass on
Arrow. Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2015 at 12:19pm

Arrow is a brilliant program.
Just waiting for series three to come out on box set.

Who gves acrap about the archery, it's got more and better plots than lost and a way more weird island as well Smiley
Not to mention every actor and actress is glamour model capable.

Yeah it's pure escapism - but it's still a great tv series.
And most of the bad guys have guns.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2015 at 4:06pm

If the bad guys have guns, then the bad guys would win in real life. 

As it is fantasy, Go Archers!

Do they have anybody throwing darts with an atlatl or using a sling?

IP Logged

Kjev

mind

Reply #11 - May 17th, 2015 at 9:00am

Morphy wrote on Apr 30th, 2015 at 2:41am:
Haven't seen it but it sounds very "interesting". As you put it. Actually, can I just put aside the political correctness for a moment and say it sounds like it blows. No offense. I just need to say it.

Not against the whole comic book fad we are currently in. I can't wait to see the new Avengers but I think I will pass on
Arrow. Cheesy

As escapism, or a live-action comic, it's great.

As serious martial arts.... HAHAHAHAHAHA!

It's on Hulu, so at least it's free. And sometimes I get ideas from it.

But it's fun to watch.

K'Jev  Cool

WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

idigit
Tiro

Hurling Darts

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 2:28pm

I have a small, 2.5 inch atlatl weight fairly far back towards the spur, and it does have a bit of an edge with it, and I have thought multiple times on how it would be very effective as a melee weapon, or even as a light axe to cut through small branches. My atlatl is quite sturdy and rugged and could take the force, I'm sure of it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)