Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
sling speed vs lars andersen bow (Read 7470 times)
Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: sling speed vs lars andersen bow
Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 3:14pm

The guys on the 1911 forum I frequent are enamored with him and ask any critic for a video of them doing the same thing. The point is not the shooting fast is unimpressive, it's that he's obfuscating about literally everything else in his video except for his speed.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #16 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 4:52pm

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #17 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 4:03pm

Mind you, one thing Lars Andersen says, namely that war archery could take place while running around, is interesting. I think he's a bit extreme when he said that people never lined up to shoot in massed static formations, but the idea that you could run and shoot might be right.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #18 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 8:54pm

Not sure this is directly relevant-- Matt Easton talking about speed shooting and draw weight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_1z3GwxQk

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #19 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:19pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 11:34am:
3 minutes 42 seconds. Now that's clever. And yes they would hurt.

No, slings aren't as fast as bows for repetition. But we have more range, easier to make equipment and a lot longer to get accurate Smiley

This is why bows superseded slings.

And until someone can PROVE a sling can be used at 20 throws a minute, bows will always fire faster.

challenge accepted i will prove to you that a slinger can sling 20 projectiles in a minute.  Cool once i find a video camera...

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #20 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:23pm

it will probably take a while for me to find one but i will and in the meantime i'll practice Cheesy.

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

IP Logged

ninja-slinger
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #21 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:03pm

I read the Geekdad article too.  It said he was using a very light bow, which made me question the shot of him piercing chain mail.  All it showed was a rapid succession of arrows hitting the target, with nothing to prove that it wasn't him and a couple buddies with 50 or 60 lb bows.  After how much they butchered the history, I wouldn't put it past them.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #22 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:03pm

i just did 31 slings in a minute, sorry i couldn't record it but you'll have to take my word on it for now, until i find a camera. it is actually very easy to sling that fast but its hard to be accurate, and the style that i used was Greek sidearm.  Cheesy

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #23 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 6:04pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:23am:
Arcane Tinker wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 2:01pm:
Timpa has proved more than twenty projectiles in one throw!

lol - so ?
That's just a handful of gravel. It's got bugger all to do with repetition.

I would not oppose a sling Lars Andersen Smiley

Yes, mainly threw crushed stone, but in time 0:30 and 0:38 I throw about 15 pieces of metal rollers (67g/2.4oz)
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mxoME-BL2Q

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #24 - Jan 28th, 2015 at 7:48pm

Blowgunman123 wrote on Jan 28th, 2015 at 2:03pm:
i just did 31 slings in a minute, sorry i couldn't record it but you'll have to take my word on it for now, until i find a camera. it is actually very easy to sling that fast but its hard to be accurate, and the style that i used was Greek sidearm.  Cheesy

I doubt Lars was any better with his power and accuracy than you were.  It's just much easier to be accurate with a bow at 5 meters.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #25 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 12:34pm

Most of his shooting is less than 5 meters.  He is probably the fastest shot out there, though.  And he's using a thumb draw.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #26 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 6:44pm

The lady who wrote a book on Amazons (or rather Skythians), Adrienne Mayor, says that "some Greek vase artists show use of "floating anchor," speed-shooting techniques, flight (distance) shooting stance, parthian shots, recurve bows, Scythian style gorytos quivers, and "Mongolian" thumb draw (as opposed to Mediterranean draw) and even show the special technique required to string a Scythian recurve bow."-- so yeah, ancient images do know about archery

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #27 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 5:32pm

Another article:

http://historical-academy.co.uk/blog/2015/01/30/on-speed-archery/

I extract this quote:

"“Archers have disagreed concerning drawing. Some have maintained that an archer should draw the length of the arrow less the width of a fist and pause for a count of one or two, or, according to some, a count of three. He should then draw the remaining length of the arrow with a sudden jerk and release. Others draw steadily the whole limit of the arrow to its very end and release without any pause or holding. Among the followers of this second method some pause for a count of two while others pause for a count ranging between two and ten. These are the followers of the intermediate school.”
Arab Archery, Chapter XVIII: On Drawing and its limits, translation by N.A. Faris and R.P. Elmer"

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #28 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 9:45am

I'm not sure if this has been linked to on this forum:

https://www.academia.edu/9973149/The_shooting_methods_of_the_archers_of_the_Anci...

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Feb 6th, 2015 at 12:53pm

The guy that wrote that article was not an archer.   Grin

His first two depictions of "pinch draws" are thumb draws.  His  picture of a thumb draw was a pinch.

His "reverse draw" is strange, I will try that and get back to you.

The article was also very Eurocentric, the "Med" or split finger draw is not stronger or better than a thumb draw and it does not let you shoot a stronger bow. 

The composite or "horse" bows were very short and the angle of the string pinched the fingers if the split finger draw was used with them. 

Actual poundage was the same or higher than the famous English longbows.  And the only surviving longbows came from the Mary Rose, which was Tudor, while there are literally thousands of composite bows surviving dating from all ages.

Arab Archery, OTOH, is considered to be a classic on Eastern archery.  And is pretty much what Lars was supposed to be quoting. 

OOPS on him, there is actually somebody that read it. Grin

Early European explorers pointedly noted that Native Americans were archers first and foremost and that they were incredibly mobile and would not stand and fight in formations, such as they were used to.  That was in most of North America, what is now Mexico and Central America used bows but not in the same way, atlatls and darts were preferred for warfare.  And South America used slings...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)