Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How long do your braided/woven slings last? (Read 3959 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
How long do your braided/woven slings last?
Jan 22nd, 2015 at 11:13pm

I realized after having to make yet another sling due to a frayed release cord and/or pouch that I have never seen anybody else report on how long their slings last. (maybe it has been discussed, but I missed it)

When I was slinging a lot (about every other day for an hour or so), my woven slings (sisal, split pouch) would only last for about a month or so.

I started adding leather on top of the pouch and the release cord and increased the lifetime to near indefinite, as long as my sling doesn't get twisted while releasing and the stone doesn't catch the release cord. When it happens, it often breaks my release cord. I've broken/frayed through about 6 or more release cords on the same sling.

So, how long do other peoples' woven/braided slings last? (with no covering protection like leather).

John R.

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Re: How long do your braided/woven slings last?
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 9:03am

Without leather, not long at all. With leather, several years. I found applying bees wax to my sling every couple weeks greatly steps up the life of my slings. I have been using hemp wick cord coated in bees wax for a couple years now.

ps. Always use leather.

Here are some I make:
http://postimg.org/image/a65zxsmn9/

Also I just ordered a product called Korean Wax Cord. Might be what you're looking for in terms of sling durability. Dunno though as I have yet to use the product.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 9:05am

Your ammo has a lot to do with how long, too.  Jagged rocks eat the release cord pretty quick.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 11:00am

I find it also depends on what kind of slinging you are doing. Light accuracy training could make a sling last a really long time.  But a sling may only last a few sessions if you're going for maximum whip crack or distance or using really heavy ammo. I have obliterated jute slings in one day going for max distance. 
Dan made me a great braided seat belt sling that has basically been my EDC sling for about a year. It's braided paracord guts and is tough as nails. The only difference between the day I got it and today is that it's filthy.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2015 at 12:43pm

Natural fibers don't last but I've never worn a synthetic material sling out yet. I do find I have replace leather pouches once they get warped though...

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:06am

I agree with Tomas.  My natural fiber woven/braided slings might last six months depending on how much I'm slinging.  Slings made of paracord or polypropylene seem almost indestructible.  Even with that in mind I like the feel of a natural fiber woven/braided sling.  Jute is my favorite natural material but I also like hemp, cotton, flax, and sometimes but not too often sisal.  Wool makes a pretty sling but it's kind of stretchy.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:04pm

I have yet to repair the end of a synthetic sling's release cord--or at least one that hasn't been constantly striking the ground on the follow-through of an overhand release.

However, they do see wear at the base of the release cord. Fortunately this is easily fixed with something like whipping or leather. The only braided sling I've had to retire didn't have any whipping, and endured a couple months of slinging rough and angular granite before being too worn to safely use.

With natural fiber you not only have to worry about the base of the release cord, but the tassel end as well. Little bits of fiber break off with each shot, which gradually shortens the tassel until it's so short it comes undone during the release.
Luckily this takes awhile to manifest, and all you have to do to fix it is unravel a bit of the release cord, and splice in new strands/fiber as you braid it again. Unless you made the sling from some sort of exotic and rare fiber that you ran out of, this is no biggie at all.

My current braided cotton Apache sling has lasted almost 2 years now, and I don't recall having to repair the tassel end more than once. Then again, that may have to do with the little synthetic-fiber popper I put on the end (like on a whip), and that seems to take a lot of stress off of the tassel itself. Cheesy
(Pictured below)
The only downside is that if you don't rifle your shot by twisting your forearm/hand like a bowler putting a side-spin on his ball, it can nail you in the finger in a rather painful manner. You learn to correct for this pretty darn quickly. Tongue
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:00am by Donnerschlag »  

IMG_4618.JPG (298 KB | 187 )
IMG_4618.JPG

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 6:40pm

I've yet to wear out a hemp sling. My interest in sling making is enough that I end up replacing my slings way before that point.

New hemp slings have this nice stiffness to them, and they turn much softer with use, which I dislike somewhat. If you count that as wearing out, I guess a month or two of regular, light use.

IP Logged

Blowgunman123

Slinging Tennis Balls

Northern Illinois
Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 10:29pm

i have yet to have to put down on of my slings because it breaks, my main reason i stop using a sling is because i have found a better sling (which isn't uncommon) and i have fired rocks and tennis balls out of my nylon sling and its fine no wear or tear oh yeah and i have a pic of my sling in another discussion its called "best sling (in your opinion) Cheesy

"You are more loved than you will ever know, by someone who died to know you." Romans 5:8

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckkJFheMGBNtMPX8I-Wm9g

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:47pm

I use tabs and at least with natural cordage my tabs eventually catch a few stones and that's it. I've been using jute though and that's not nearly as tough as a cord made from linen. I expect if I made one using bowstring g principles and premium materials it would last longer.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - Jan 31st, 2015 at 7:25am

Yes jute sucks. Great to work with though

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 4:41am

I disagree that jute sucks.  A jute sling has a very specific feel to it which I prefer plus it doesn't look bad.  Also, jute is very cheap.  It's only fault that I know if is that it doesn't last as long as some other materials, especially synthetics.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 7:32pm

All the jute that i've bought in local stores (walmart, hardware and supermarkets) has been of low quality. Loosely twisted, uneven and real easy to break. Finally found a company on the web selling two ply, consistant diameter s twisted jute. Love it, but they want 11 bucks per 100 feet. Cry  That's the string I made the netted split pouch out of. It can be reverse twisted, it's slighty heavier and (I hope) more durable.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #13 - Feb 5th, 2015 at 10:34am

Natural fiber give up pretty easily when it comes to the cracker. Abrasion on the release cord is also a problem. I use a whip wrap around the release cord to protect the main cords. Use synthetic or leather for the cracker and it should last a long time.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 4:36pm

Jute sling: for me, after 60 days slinging, the release knot will fray and that end break off.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)