Send Topic Print
Knuckledusters (Read 11439 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Knuckledusters
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2015 at 6:17pm

Such weapons are brutally effective but as Bill stated you have to be very close to your opponent to use them.  If I can't have a gun my weapon of choice is a staff.  Of course a set of brass knuckles wouldn't be a bad back up in case someone got inside of my guard with the staff.  Of course we're talking hypothetically.

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2015 at 7:47pm

If I were to use any melee weapon other than a knife, I would probably choose a tactical pen or keychain kubotan. I have fingers like plantains and it makes anything with fingerholes pretty useless.  Of course, when your hands are like two bunches of small bananas...most weapons are kinda useless.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #17 - Jan 15th, 2015 at 11:19am

Back in the day ... in a time and a land far, far away ...
A set of welded black iron pipe rings .... pretty crude.
Embarrassed
I was more likely to carry a roll of pennies as a fist load.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Jan 18th, 2015 at 8:06pm

yeah, hell if I'm that close I might as well just pick the bugger up and throw him somewhere Smiley

Or failing that a rabbit punch to the throat will finish most fights, with or without knuckle dusters.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Jenrick
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central Texas
Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 3:25pm

I am a full time municipal law enforcement officer here in the US, the reason I'm tossing that out is that I've seen plenty of purpose built and improvised variations on knuckles over the years first hand.  I've also seen the after effects of them, and on one unlucky occasion felt them as well.

In short a well constructed pair of knuckles convert the fists into lethal weapons easily capable of breaking bones with little risk of injury or damage to the user.  Additionally on glancing blows or those thrown purposely at less then full power, they will cause cuts down to to the bone on thin skinned areas.  An involved party received a punch the mouth, which they mostly swayed with.  A bare fist would have caused maybe just minor swelling, due to the knuckels, he had a split that showed teeth.  Contact to the common locations on the face that are struck, almost always result in split/cut flesh and a cracked or shattered bone (this includes  very sturdy targets like the forehead). 

Less well built or improvised versions, don't tend to produce the cutting effect.  Depending on the weight they add to the fist, and the contact area, they can still produce significant breaks and cracks to bones. 

The fist load is a decent option in a pinch, but it relies on the hand to provide the contact surface, and to be able to endure the impact as well.  I've seen a few guys break knuckles trying this technique. 

In reference to actually getting hit with a pair of knuckles, a suspect attempted to rabbit punch me in the floating ribs with a set on his left hand.  Due to my ballistic vest it really just felt like a pretty solid punch.  Without it, I probably would have sustained a broken rib or two. 

-Jenrick

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #20 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 9:06am

That's very interesting. My impression was that these weapons were fairly rarely used/carried in the US. How common are they compared to other weapons in your experience? If you don't mind my asking.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Jenrick
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central Texas
Reply #21 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 8:17pm

Purpose made, well fitted knuckles are not common.  Much more often found are the novelty kind that don't fit right, they will still do a lot of damage however.  The counterpoint to the novelty kind is that the user risks damage to their own hands if their own hands.  Compared to common clubs or knives, knuckles are a distinct minority.  Improvised knuckles or fist loads are reasonably common, but usually more as an item of convenience then purposefully selected for use.

-Jenrick

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #22 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 2:48pm

Back in my childhood (ok... adolescence) we happened to fight using bottles and clubs, only two of us had knuckledusters but none of them ever managed to use them...
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Kjev

Limits exist only in your
mind

Reply #23 - Apr 19th, 2015 at 8:30am

I think the idea of using the bear claws to shred meat is genius! What a great kitchen tool. Have you ever considered marketing it?

I inherited my grandfather's old knuckle dusters. Back before WWII he was the largest pinball, slot machine, and punchboard runner in the state of Illinois that was not associated with the mob. When the mob started putting pressure on him, he joined a bigger family: The U.S. Army. But I still have them, complete with some interesting rust stains (interesting because they look like stainless steel). Huh

While I have them, I think in a self defense situation it would take too long to get them on, and since I've studied martial arts since I was 15 (many moons ago)...

K'Jev  Cool
"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"--Yoda

https://www.facebook.com/StormsForge
WWW stormsforge  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #24 - May 13th, 2015 at 2:32pm

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #25 - May 30th, 2015 at 5:08am

And Jack Dempsey's classic "Championship fighting", by a great old-timey boxer, which is in fact not about match boxing but about fist-fighting, and has absorbed a lot of the culture of American old-timey "scrapping"

http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader.php/107333/Vzryvnoii_udar_i_aktivnaya_oboro...

If you practised this and old-timey jiu-jitsu for grapplling, you'd be able to fight like a 1920s policeman. Which is not to say bad.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #26 - May 30th, 2015 at 4:00pm

An older relative of mine told me a story of one of my long dead relatives who was a ticket collector on a train. Apparently the train was being held up and one of the robbers came up to him and demanded all the money he had. He put his hand in his pouch to give him what he asked for and came out with a swing from his knuckle dusters. According to my relative it took off a good portion of the robbers face.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #27 - May 30th, 2015 at 4:51pm

A hook (shovelling hook in Dempsey's vigorous terminology) rather than a swing ?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #28 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 6:55am

Kjev wrote on Apr 19th, 2015 at 8:30am:
I think the idea of using the bear claws to shred meat is genius! What a great kitchen tool. Have you ever considered marketing it?

I inherited my grandfather's old knuckle dusters. Back before WWII he was the largest pinball, slot machine, and punchboard runner in the state of Illinois that was not associated with the mob. When the mob started putting pressure on him, he joined a bigger family: The U.S. Army. But I still have them, complete with some interesting rust stains (interesting because they look like stainless steel). Huh

While I have them, I think in a self defense situation it would take too long to get them on, and since I've studied martial arts since I was 15 (many moons ago)...

Bear claws/paws can be bought most places that sell bbq equipment in the states.
I have some commercial ones that I do use for pulling pork.
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Products-Inc-11001/dp/B003IWI66W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UT...

That's interesting info jenrick.
Particularly on the damage they cause.
I guess you'd need to be a professional thug to have the good ones.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #29 - Jun 1st, 2015 at 9:49am

More like professional muscle. 

Most thugs are spur of the moment types who, thankfully, rarely plan things out and often act on impulse. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)