Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
birch bark uses (Read 1277 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

birch bark uses
Dec 20th, 2014 at 8:39pm

I got like 4-5 square feet of birch bark to play with... Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: birch bark uses
Reply #1 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 8:52pm

-a hat ?

-Russian style writing material ?

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 8:59pm

Birch Beer is an option if you want to toy with home soda pop production. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_beer

I think they also used to make baskets out of birch bark.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 7:10am

A tiny canoe!

I think most people nowadays know that the inside of the bark went on the outside of the canoe, right?

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 7:43am

Birch tar

Or use it as kindling material or as a torch. It burns quite well.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 7:51am

I still vote for a hat

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2014 at 6:24am

this

th.jpg (6 KB | 57 )
th.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2014 at 2:01pm

Now I want a birch bark hat.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2014 at 11:26pm

Birchbark looks great right off the tree, but it's also a lovely surface for etching.  You can make baskets or winnowing trays (both of which I've done, and would look lovely etched).  I was going to make fun of the hat idea, but yoooooo that hat badger posted is one fine piece of headware (*gasp* YOU COULD ETCH THE HAT).  Would make a lovely quiver, if you have enough (ETCHED BIRCHBARK QUIVER *swoons*).  There are a number of folding crafts you can do with them, like birchbark stars (which I bet you could etch).  Roll them up into tubes and make little cups (etched cups).  Also makes lovely knife sheaths (guess what you could do to the sheaths).  Hair ornaments too, and they don't use much bark.  It just occured to me that making book covers out of them would probably be really cool.
There's also an art form called birchbark biting.  You literally use your teeth to bite patterns into the wood.  You can fold the bark to make radially symmetrical patterns.  I've seen people do it- takes practice to get good, of course, but the beginner can get results.
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.  And it's true- if it's rough or you have scraps, birch pitch is really awesome.
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2014 at 12:50pm by Eoraptor »  

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 6:09am

Knife sheath!!! Etching!!! Wild!!!
I'll be trying a few of these:) great ideas yo!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)