Send Topic Print
Aluminum bullets? (Read 1796 times)
CodeMaker
Descens

top score: 13

Pennsylvania, USA
Aluminum bullets?
Dec 12th, 2014 at 7:24pm

Believe it or not, aluminum actually has the same density as granite, and it's considerably more dense than clay. It's heavy stuff. Admittedly, it's not even 1/3 as dense as lead, but it's stronger and safer, so it seems worth looking into.

Has anyone tried making aluminum sling ammo? I'll probably try it myself within the next 2 weeks.   

"Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss" - Judges, 20:16&&&&for all you right handed suckers out there Tongue

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: Aluminum bullets?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2014 at 10:00pm

I have 200 pounds of aluminum ingots that could be poured into a glande shape this spring.  Perhaps I could start working on a matchplate with a glande tree to cast en masse.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Jenrick
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Central Texas
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 11:18am

Only issue I could see is that aluminum has a much higher casting temperature then lead.  If you had the gear to heat it, and the molds that can handle that heat, then I think it'd work just fine.

-Jenrick

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2014 at 12:14pm

I can handle it Wink

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 12:43pm

I've cast hollow aluminium eggs from Alu Roll Eyes

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 12:56pm

Now that's a beating stick! Totally awesome Arcane

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 11:03am

CodeMaker wrote on Dec 12th, 2014 at 7:24pm:
Believe it or not, aluminum actually has the same density as granite, and it's considerably more dense than clay. It's heavy stuff. Admittedly, it's not even 1/3 as dense as lead, but it's stronger and safer, so it seems worth looking into.

Has anyone tried making aluminum sling ammo? I'll probably try it myself within the next 2 weeks.   

you sure about that density ? Aluminium is famous for NOT being dense.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 2:45pm

It has the same density as sand...so granite should be close.

Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

CodeMaker
Descens

top score: 13

Pennsylvania, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 11:14pm

Density of aluminum is 2.7g/mL, and the density of granite generally ranges from 2.65 to 2.72g/mL. Aluminum is extreemly light realative to other metals, but metals tend to be amazingly dense.

I've been unable to find a cheep source of ceramic blanket or satanite, so my metal melting ideas will need to wait until I can get the funds to buy the material I need to build a good furnace Sad I'm hoping to start melting bronze eventually, so my goal is to build a furnace that can handle ~2700 degrees F and to use that for both aluminum and bronze (running at different temps for each, of course).

"Out of all these troops, the best 700 were left-handed. Each could sling a stone at a hair and not miss" - Judges, 20:16&&&&for all you right handed suckers out there Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)