Send Topic Print
Return to Slinging. (Read 2543 times)
Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Return to Slinging.
Nov 27th, 2014 at 5:17pm

I have been in my freshman semester at college these last few months and between classes, ROTC, working out, studying, and some sleep, I don't really sling as much as I'd like. Actually, about once a month compared to every day over the summer. Now that I am on break for thanksgiving, I had a pretty good slinging session today and I was surprised to find that I hadn't actually lost any of my slinging ability. After a few shots I was dialed in and maintaining groups like I did over the summer with a tennis ball and a 4oz quartz rock between 7-20 yards.

I know this isn't the same way with shooting so I assumed I "ingrained" slinging into my head over the summer so I couldn't forget. Kind of like throwing a football or Frisbee. What have your experiences been with this?

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Return to Slinging.
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 5:37am

I hadn't been slinging for quite some time. I think for 5/6 months. But when I did start slinging again, I picked it up within minutes. It's not a skill you lose quickly, just like cycling.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 8:38am

My experiences have been similar. There have been times where I have not been able to sling for months at a time. As a rule I am "dialed in" within the first dozen or so shots.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 11:08am

When I practice regularly, my accuracy improves.  When I stop for a period of time and then start back, I notice a severe drop off in accuracy until I have practiced several times. 

I can hit all around a 2 liter bottle at 15 paces, maybe hit it once or twice,  when I practice regularly, I will hit it 5-8 times out of ten throws.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2014 at 9:38pm

I'm the same as Bill.... Just not as accurate!
I also find my distance shooting suffers from lack of practice.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2014 at 10:52am

I don't sling nearly as much as I used to but it takes only a few shots to get back in the grove each time.

Oh, and hi everyone, it's been a while! Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Dec 8th, 2014 at 6:33am

Hi Tint!  How's the family?

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 9:43am

Good thanks, my man! Expecting a second boy in April Smiley

How are things with you?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2014 at 9:02pm

Congratulations.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 4:44pm

I'm the same as Bill and Tint. If I don't sling for a while my accuracy drops way off. My range doesn't seem to suffer though. Congratulations, Tint!!

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 6:27pm

Congrats Tint! Smiley

----------------------------

As to the original post:
Odd thing is, I also used to lose any skill with a sling rather rapidly in the past. However my experience has been the complete opposite in the last year. from about summer of 2013 to July of 2014. That was the point where I had decided to apply training elements from archery, and settle on only one particular style, focusing entirely on form and accuracy. I had loads of structure and consistency, and I trained that way for roughly 30-45 minutes on a near daily basis for about 10-12 months, or so.

Fast-forward to today. After moving to Oregon, I have only had about two slinging sessions in the last 6 months. Much to my surprise, my accuracy not only didn't suffer much, but it also came back ridiculously quickly! It was at the point where halfway through, you couldn't tell that I had barely even looked at a sling in that time period!
IMHO slinging truly is like riding a bike, once you take it past a certain point. You just need to have actually drilled accuracy, rather than just expecting it to come as you loiter about on the plateau of erratic practice and no structure. Tongue
(Not saying that's somehow "bad" or undesirable. Some only care about those instances where they chance upon a cool spot to flick rocks into a lake or field--and that's perfectly okay. Smiley )

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
past-moderator

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 8:23pm

Curious how I was thinking exactly the same just yesterday.
I was in my cellar, modelling a crazy Macchi M5, and all of a sudden I looked up and saw my old bow hanging from the ceiling. I took it, took my old arrows, draw a man's shape on a wooden plank and shot at it standing 15 paces away.
The first arrow missed, the second hit the man's head, the third and the fourth hit his body. Last time I shot some arrows was more than a year ago, in Tallinn, Estonia, where I shot 5 arrows.
So today I went to the beach and slung some rocks - the results have been hilarious, I even threw the sling once.
I think it's because my body memorized the technique involved in archery, but not the these involved in slinging. I've always had this feeling that I'm a better bowman than a slinger, and these days it has been confirmed.
Great feelings anyway!
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris)