Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Swiss Arrow (Read 2554 times)
Banzai

Nicaragua
Swiss Arrow
Nov 21st, 2014 at 9:35pm

Has anyone on this forum experimented with the Swiss Arrow (or Pathfinder Dart)?

1 Samuel 17:50

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Re: Swiss Arrow
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 4:03am

I have made some based on Dave Canterburys video. Home depot in my area sells oak dowel rods which work pretty well. Gorilla tape works better then duct for fletching in my experience. My first batch of them I drilled into the end of the shaft and glued in target points which held up surprisingly well. On the next go around I was thinking about using flattened and sharpened spoons for the head.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 10:15pm

Awesome!  How hard are they to master?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 7:28am

Easier than a sling for sure. I made one last year and was impressed. If I were hunting with one I would feel pretty confident.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2014 at 1:39pm

Much easier then a sling IMO. My younger brother who has no love for the outdoors was given a childs bow a couple of years ago. To make it fun for him we "compete" at an archery target. Very rarely do I miss the target at about 30 yards. There is a surprising amount of penetration as well.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 12:37pm

Interesting

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Nov 30th, 2014 at 9:19am

for diy points backyard bowyer has a a youtube video. Square cut masonry nails secured with pex tube and hotmelt. Ive fiddled with the Swiss arrow and I have to throw too hard. For hand launched Think I'll stick to atlatal.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

idigit
Tiro

Hurling Darts

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2015 at 3:07pm

I've done quite a bit of experimenting with swiss arrows and they have grown on me. While consistency isn't always the greatest, i do have fair amounts of accuracy and power. I was shocked to measure out 60 yard throws from something so simple. I use wooden dowels cut down to 3 feet, tapered tip i glue a 145 grain field point on to. Duct tape fletchings, whittle out a nock, and just paracord for the launching cordage. While i'd go for an atlatl over a swiss arrow any day, it is a fun little weapon with a short learning curve that can be made much more easily than an atlatl and dart. I would toss around an atlatl first, as the same mechanics and physics are used. I attribute how quickly i picked up the swiss arrow with my atlatl experience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)