Send Topic Print
MIA Rat! (Read 3449 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
MIA Rat!
Oct 31st, 2014 at 1:54pm

I haven't been around much for the past week or so.  We're into the move now and everything is inside out.  Things will start to settle down in about a week.  It's been about eighteen years since I moved.  It's just as horrible as I remember.  We're about 4/5ths done moving our stuff over to the new place.  Other than the appliances Kate and I are moving everything, one carload at a time.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: MIA Rat!
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 4:52pm

I worked at a moving company last summer. Though it may seem tedious,  write labels on everything and package it well, boxes are better than small items. Also, be prepared to not have a garage or basement available for awhile.  Wink

Congrats on the new place. Smiley

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2014 at 8:09am

Enjoy the new place! I remember you had Men tioned it was a total steal!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:51am

Yes, Tomas, we paid about seventy thousand less than the house once sold for so we're very pleased with the deal.
    Right now all I have is my cell phone but we're getting our internet connection at the house on Tuesday so I'll be back in operation then.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 1:59pm

I have my internet connection but my computer is burried somewhere in the crates and boxes. Hopefully I'll find it soon. It's cumbersome doing everything from my phone.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2014 at 2:28pm

I saw your place on google maps and it looks very beautiful. I like the way the infrastructure is build with trees all around. Here we don't have that at all. Wharton State Forest seems like a great place to hike.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:25pm

I just finished moving. Only a couple of hours from where I used to live but still. I feel your pain ratman.

I'm hoping to be more active on here again now that we're getting fairly settled.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 5:28pm

OK, we found the  computer a while ago but I had the internet connection placed in a room that is still full of crates and very uncomfortable to use.  Today we finally got my computer up and running wireless so I won't be a stranger anymore. 
    Jauke, the Wharton  Tract is a wonderful place to hike, fish, canoe, drive your 4Xs, camp, etc., etc..  It's very much like heaven on earth.  There are hundreds of miles of trails through the Pines, lakes, rivers, wildlife, etc..  It's my favorite place on earth.  The house is like a little doll house but so are the rest of the houses around here so it's no big deal.  It's just kate and I anyway so the house is plenty big enough.  Every time I look out a back window I can't help imagining how great this will all look in the Spring.
    Daughter kate has the livingroom and kitchen looking almost human plus she decorated for
Christmas so the place is starting to look less like Crate Cit and more like home.  It'll take months to have everything just right but at least we're livable now. 
   I've missed you guys.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2014 at 9:25pm

I just moved too Huh Three weeks of work and still one shed to go. Don't know if I wil be physically capable to do this again. Beginning to understand Downsizing  Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 12:55pm

Walter, I only got through this via Kate's energy.  I'm quite certain I don't have it in me to do this again.  When I move from here it will be in a pine box.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 7:55pm

Rat Man wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 12:55pm:
Walter, I only got through this via Kate's energy.  I'm quite certain I don't have it in me to do this again.  When I move from here it will be in a pine box. 

LOL Smiley

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 9:35am

Hopefully not for much time RM.

For downsizing I've heard about the "magic number" system. Which is simply: how many do you use before you reset the system? ie how many cups do you use before you run the dishwasher? How many jeans do you wear before you do laundry?

Anything greater than that number is clutter.

The other trick that I've done and like is: take all your kitchen utensils, put them in a bin. When you use one find a home for it. After a year- if you haven't used it donate it.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 12:09am

My downsizing system is as follows: can it fit in my car without completely blocking my rearview mirror? Yes? Good, it's useful. No? Clutter. Granted, my clutter usually ends up in storage, but I tend to only keep it in storage for a year or less before it gets sold.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2014 at 1:23pm

Kate kept a lot of stuff from the apartment that I wouldn't have.  It's OK though.  Once I get some shelves up we'll be able to get everything in order.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2015 at 11:08am

I just put together a couple of shelves (assembled really- no woodworking) to help get things organized. Got the first one filled already. Getting a new place organized always seems to take more time than you'd think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)