Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making Cordage with a Braiding Disk (Read 1480 times)
asemery
Funditor

Making Cordage with a Braiding Disk
Oct 29th, 2014 at 6:35pm

Take a square of cardboard and cut off the corners to make an octagon.  I used the top of a pizza take out box and made a 4" square (size of square is not critical).    Cut a 3/4" (again not ctitical) slit on center of each sine of the octagon.  Cut a hole in center of square.  Take 7 strands of cord and tie overhand knot in one end.

Push overhand knot in center of hole and put one strand each in seven slits  leaving the empty slit in the East (3 o'clock)  position.  Clip a light weight (bulldog clip) to the knot. 

I find it easier to move the disk in a counter-clockwise direction but you can move the disk clockwiase as long as you are consistant.  Count over 3 positions clockwise and take the cord there (red cord, south-west position) and move it up to the empty slot.  shift the disk counter-clockwise so the empty slot is in the East (3 o'clock) position.

That is all there to it.  Count over three clockwise, move the cord there to the empty slot, and turn the disk so the empty slot is at the East.

Will bring us to here.  When  the white cord is moved to the empty slot the cords will once again be in the be starting order.

Continue in this manner until finished.  Tie end in overhand knot.

You will get an unholy mess on your hands if you don't straiaghten out the cords from time to time

When you use 2 colors you can see the spiral pattern appear

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Re: Making Cordage with a Braiding Disk
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 4:21am

Simply genius! Smiley
Will be trying this. Should be easy enough to taper it for a release cord, too.

IP Logged

asemery
Funditor

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:54am

PandaMan wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 4:21am:
Simply genius! Smiley
Will be trying this. Should be easy enough to taper it for a release cord, too.

You can use the braiding disk to make the finger loop as well.  Here is how.  In this case I started with almost 4' of threads to make a 1 foot usable length of cordage.  In the middle of the 4' of the yarns I braided for about 2".

I folded the braid in half to form the loop and re-strung the braiding disk with doubled threads.

I braided until the ends got too short and ended up with a 1' long section of braid from end of loop to end of braid.

If the doubled cord is too thick you can thin it out.  After the first few rounds you can start cutting one of the strands in each slot.  Do this gradually maybe one cut every other round and the braid will thin out.  The ends will be hidden in the braid. 

You can make a very useful soft shackle with this  braid.  Tie a knot in the end and put the knot through the loop end.  A very handy way to hang items from a belt or anywhere else.

Happily tangled in my nets at http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 1:50pm

This is really useful! Thanks for posting.
I will be trying this out. Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 2:05pm

I tried it and liked it.  Quite fast and easy compred to the Peruvian in-hand braids.  I`ll maybe not braid a lot of cordage tis way, but now I know how to do it.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 3:18pm

With a disk of 12 slots you can use the same style technique with an 11 skip 4 pattern Cool

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 1:16pm

I made a test piece to see how this would for making a sling.  Now I know that a finger loop, split pouch and tapered release cord is quite simple.  Sooner or later I`ll probably make a slimg this way.

20141106_185527.jpg (160 KB | 54 )
20141106_185527.jpg

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 1:19pm

If I make one I`ll probably knit a piece and sew into the split pouch.  I could also sew in a piece of leather like on an Apache sling.

20141106_185555.jpg (117 KB | 65 )
20141106_185555.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)