Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging with shoulder injury (Read 1144 times)
TurkeyVultureTed
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Northern California
Slinging with shoulder injury
Oct 26th, 2014 at 1:42am

Howdy folks.  I haven't been slinging around since I ruined my shoulder a couple years ago.  I don't actually know if the injury was from (bad form) Eskimo roll kayak practice, or if it was from (bad form) tennis-overhand style sling practice.

Either way, it now hurts to rotate my shoulder to the point of lifting my arm above parallel to the ground.

I can sling underhand with good power development, but would like to work toward an accurate hunting throw.  Clearly the answer is to play around with techniques until I find one that doesn't hurt, but does anyone have any suggestions for a style/technique that minimizes stress on the raised-arm shoulder?

Thanks.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Slinging with shoulder injury
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 6:07am

Try the Apache throw with the other hand.  I do it when I need to rest my shoulder for a couple og days.  Accuracy is way easier than power doing it, and with lots of practice it should be possible to become good.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 7:58am

apache requires you to raise your arm above the shoulder. so that's probably out.

A basic sidearm keeps the arm below shoulder.

Either a balearic style, which I'm not personally keen on (all the extra rotation bugger up my accuracy) or a standard sidearm style.

That would be your best bet for  a low altitude pwerful and accurate style. 

That and keep working the shoulder joint gently.

My left shoulder always crunches at the start of any exercise routine. But tends to smooth out after a bit of work. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 9:59am

I had a bad R shoulder for years…

Surgery fixed it, glad I did it. It wont get better with age.

Slinging is pretty hard on the shoulder no matter what style you use.

You are a weapon system…treat the system!

WHat do you plan on hunting?

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 4:57pm

Well, I hurt my shoulder slinging last year and learned a lot since then... If I were you I would get a doctor to look at your shoulder and identify what you have going on. Once you know what's wrong it's easier to deal with it. You could also learn some rehab excercises and such. The targeted excercises are what helped my healing the most - put the work into it and don't be surprised if you can barely so the stretches at first. If you tore anything you prolly will never heal naturally but if you didn't hurt yourself too bad and just stressed your rotator cuff or gave yourself an impingement it's hopeful Smiley

My shoulder is still healing and I skipped this season of slinging with it.... Hoping for next year.  In the meantime, I have become somewhat proficient at slinging lefty! I don't have the same power, speed or coordination yet but I am capabable of accuracy and moderate power left handed.
And ya like the others said keep to sidearm or underarm. Your shoulder throws best and most naturally with your elbow level with your shoulder. Too high you risk impingement, too low you stress the muscles around your armpit/pectoral area. Keep it level!!!  I find the style the forum has named "afghan sidearm" quite a bit especially since it's not overly complicated.
Hope I didn't run on too much just trying to help!

IP Logged

TurkeyVultureTed
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Northern California
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:31am

"WHat do you plan on hunting?"

Only the sort of things I ordinarily take with a .410 shotgun.  Cottontail bunnies, grey squirrel, maybe quail and dove.

Though I'd be more than happy to bounce a tennis ball off any deer in my garden, I'll have to wait until I take up the atlatl before going after them paleo-style.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick)