Send Topic Print
spearheads (Read 2713 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
spearheads
Oct 17th, 2014 at 4:03pm

3 iron age spear heads, found with a boat, at the bottom of Lough Corrib, Galway, Ireland.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: spearheads
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 9:21pm

The bottom two look like something that the Norse would use?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 6:23am

Norse weren't in Ireland in the Iron Age

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 4:17pm

So when do these date to, actually ? I suppose it could be any time (e.g. 500 BCE as well as 200 CE)-- is the boat dated at all ? (e.g. by dendrochronology)

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 7:51pm

Iron Age Scandinavia was trading with Ireland up to not quite 800 AD.  In that time frame, it turned into the Viking Age, which lasted to around 1250 AD.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2014 at 7:30am

The site doesn't give any more information.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 9:31pm

The sagas mention something called a fighting spear, which was apparently used as a slashing as well as a stabbing weapon.  It had a much longer blade than a standard spear head like the one at top.  I was wondering if the bottom two were that type of spear head.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 6:26am

Are these spears for throwing or for hand to hand combat? I assume there are different types of spears for different uses

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 6:39am

OK, I tracked down some articles about the finds at Lough Corrib. There were 12 log boats (basically dug out canoes) found, dating from 4500 BC to the 11th cent. AD. The spearheads, along with some axes, were found in the 11th cent. boat. Definitely Viking.
It's funny, too because the times I've been there I've heard from the local historians that the Vikings never made it into Galway/Clare, yet little bits of evidence keep popping up.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 6:45am

Nice work ! Of course, the typology of the basic spearhead doesn't really change from Iron ages down to early modern period: thick central ridge, thin edges, various forms of swelling (with variants: laurel leaf, heart shaped, long leaf).

The Scandinavians also had a curious weapon, which might have evolved from the "slashing spears" in the sagas mentioned by Bill Skinner-- a long blade on a pole:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swordstaff

(with a nice illustration of a Swedish militiaman, wearing old fashioned helmet in C16th, and big trousers, ad wielding the sword-staff thingie).

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 10:01pm

Hewing spear!  That was the one!  Not slashing.

Anyways.

Thank you for looking that up, Slingbadger. 

And for the follow up, Theros.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)