Hello from Hungary (Read 1415 times)
AttilaTheFun
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Hungary
Hello from Hungary
Oct 13th, 2014 at 1:10pm

Welly well, hey there!

I just popped in to say Hi to everyone around here.
As you might think judging by my name and/or the name of the topic, I'm from Hungary, I were always somewhat interested in primitive ranged weaponry but never really got interested enough to try myself at it, now the time came!

On the weekend while shopping, I saw a spool of some plant fibre string and it was calling me, asking to be made into a sling, so I bought it, brought it home, and since I already knew this site, I started browsing the guides to find a design simple enough for  a starter sling.  About half an hour later it was done by Dan Bollinger's guide, and I almost couldn't wait till the time to walk the dog came Cheesy (I didn't want to start with rocks and running after the tennis balls by myself would look strange)

The dog loved it, I loved it ( Except the time when I tried something ( Calling it Balearic style would be a offense to said style) and it went straight to my left into the fenced, unused area next to me so I had to climb the fence for the ball Cheesy ) and I can't tell how happy I am for seeing that spool of string.

Anyway since in a week it'll be dark when I get home, slinging will be restricted to weekends, but until that I already made a small loom and will make a cupped sling, the "Tutankhamen" one also by the guide on the site. I'm still afraid of stones so if I found them heavy enough I'll try myself at shooting Horse Chestnuts.

I'll report!
So again: Hey everyone, see you on the site!

Have a nice day,
Attila
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2014 at 12:25pm by AttilaTheFun »  

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hello from Hungary
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 8:10pm

Hello and welcome.  I have to admit that I have tried a few things when throwing, unfortunately, none of mine worked.  And my dogs that would go fetch wouldn't bring the balls back to me, they kept them. Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2014 at 4:37pm

Hi, Attila;
  Welcome.  Horse Chestnuts make great ammo. I've seen them slung both with an without the husks.  I leave the husks on.  Though they're "non lethal"  they're heavy enough where I'd hate to get hit with one that was slung. 

IP Logged

AttilaTheFun
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Hungary
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 7:27am

Report #1:

I have little time to practice but i try to throw a few whenever i get the chance. The dog still loves it although as i get better the ball goes further so sometimes she cant find it, i have to watch where the ball goes if i dont want to lose it.

Also i made a second sling. Not a woven one since i couldnt get the mats for it but its good for horse chestnuts and smaller rocks. Sadly most horse chestnut is gone due to all the little children gathering them (stupid children , cant they see i have a holy mission? Cheesy )  but i started using rocks and so far no one died. What i noticed is i am way more accurate with my second sling. The first one (made for tennis balls)is much shorter and it might be the reason, it might be too short for me to control. When i get the mats for the woven one i'll try making it even longer im quite tall (~195cm/ 6'5"?) so i should be able to handle it easily.

anyway thats it for now. Im using my fiancee's phone ans its a pain to weite on it.

Happy slinging!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2014 at 7:12pm

A good general rule is to make your sling length (folded) half of your height.  Try a 38" or 39" sling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris)