Send Topic Print
An Interesting Trip (Read 1777 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
An Interesting Trip
Sep 30th, 2014 at 11:21am

Last Sunday I went to Fungus Fest held by the New Jersey Mycological Association:  http://njmyco.org  The exhibition was held at the sprawling Frelinghuysen Arboretum in North Jersey:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frelinghuysen_Arboretum.
    It was a very enlightening presentation with lots of vendors, mushroom walks, classes, cooking demonstrations, etc.. The Frelinghuysen Arboretum was beautiful and would have been worth the trip by itself.  My friends and I ended the day with a long hike around the grounds. 
    I went there with the hope that afterward I'd be able to safely identify at least a few edible varieties of mushroom that don't have a deadly look alike.  Nothing like that happened... instead I learned exactly how daunting a task mushroom, lichen, and morel identifidation is.  There are at least twenty different criteria to identify a species and just about all mushrooms have poisonous look alikes.  Anyone who takes to the woods looking for edible fungi after one seminar is either insane, stupid, or suicidal. 
   We sampled mushroom curry, a mushroom/potato/cheese dish, and mushroom cookies.  I bought some Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Hedgehog Mushrooms, and Lobster Mushrooms, mostly because I'd never seen them before.  They are all excellent and the Lobster Mushrooms actually taste like lobster... for real. 
    Anyway, it was a fascinating trip that I'm glad we took. 
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:10am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: An Interesting Trip
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 10:48am

Fascinating trip, eh?

Shocked

Mmmm hmmm…

Grin

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:07am

the lobster ones would be lions mane mushrooms ?

Picking mushrooms is pretty easy - in most countries there are 10-20 or so species that are very very easy to identify and eat. And you just don't pick anything else Smiley

Sounds like a great day out though Thumbs Up

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 6:00pm

Is Fungus, plant or animal or something else?

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 6:17pm

Fungi are separate from plants and animals. On the tree of life, there are 3 domains:
  • Bacteria
  • Archaea
  • Eukarya

Within Eukarya, there are 4 kingdoms:
  • Animalia
  • Plantae
  • Protista
  • Fungi

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:32pm

Ah huh!! Smiley Thanks Smiley

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 6:36am

there is a fungus among us Roll Eyes

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 6:57am

don't forget slime molds - my absolute favourite organisms.
Not sure where they fit in.
Not exactly a fungi or plant or animal - kind of a bit of all three.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 7:37am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 2nd, 2014 at 6:57am:
don't forget slime molds - my absolute favourite organisms.
Not sure where they fit in.
Not exactly a fungi or plant or animal - kind of a bit of all three.

They're the largest, most complex organisms in Kingdom Protista.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 8:28am

Sounds like a great trip and delicious food!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 10:06am

It actually was fascinating.  One of the things I've wondered about mushrooms is how they sometimes grow out of very sterile white sand.  Often I'll find them popping out of a dirt road.  Like, what are they eating?  The answer is that most of the mushroom is under the ground as a system of (I forget the technical name) roots.  What we see above the ground is just the fruit of the organism.  In picking it you don't harm the main organism at all.  Some of these mushroom systems get very big.  At one of the seminars they told us about one out West that was as big as Rhode Island... a single plant.  They took DNA from both ends and it was the same.  Who'd a thunk it!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner)