Send Topic Print
Tropics Acting Up (Read 2785 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Tropics Acting Up
Sep 9th, 2014 at 7:15am

It's that time of year again.  The Tropics are starting to get active.  There are two areas in the Atlantic that I believe bear watching.  In the first one there  is a little circulation and a fair amount of convection:

Dist.JPG (70 KB | 120 )
Dist.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Tropics Acting Up
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 7:17am

The second area is better formed and has a good bit of circulation.  From this shot I can't tell how much convection there is:

Dist2.JPG (40 KB | 100 )
Dist2.JPG

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 8:37pm

Actually the season started back in June and it's on the down hill slide, it ends on the last day of October, I think.

Usually when we get one this time of year, it's mostly rain.  Lots and lots of rain.

And the second one is the one that looks like it might be low enough to slide int the Gulf and all that warm water.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 9:10pm

I checked the satellite loops again tonight.  There are two areas of convection in the Caribbean.  It looks like something is about to happen.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:21pm

look to the north, polar vortex season meets warm air from the south Sad.

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 2:38am

Still lots of convection in the Caribbean but no organization.  The wave just off of Africa looks impressive.  It's still a long way off and anything can happen.

Dist3.JPG (35 KB | 85 )
Dist3.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 1:26am

Bill, we're just now entering the traditional peak period of hurricane season.  The wave coming across the Atlantic is now Tropical Storm Eduoard.  They're predicting that it will be a hurricane by early next week but it's not expected to threaten land.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 4:03pm

The Caribbean remains quiet and Hurricane Eduoard is supposed to spin off into the Atlantic, bothering almost no one.  However, Africa just spit a series of four waves in a row at us.  There's considerable convection in all of these waves so any or even all of them could develop into something major.

Parade.JPG (82 KB | 91 )
Parade.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 2:49pm

Eduoard is big and bad now but he's heading north and should bother almost no one.  There's a large batch of convection in the southern Caribbean that should develop quickly.

Caribb.JPG (78 KB | 80 )
Caribb.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 2:00pm

So far things remain rather quiet.  A large wave just left the coast of Africa but so far there's no organization to it.  There's one disturbance in the middle of the Atlantic that has some convection and might develop into something:

Sept23.JPG (83 KB | 104 )
Sept23.JPG

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:07pm

Lots of flooding around the world at the moment, our spring season can get a little frisky, but there seems to be more of a sting in its tail this year, and the trees and plants are trying to budd and drop leaves at the same time!

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 9:54am

It's been such a quiet hurricane season.  Anyway, here's one to watch... Gonzalo.  Nice name.  It's too early to tell with any degree of certainty where or if he'll strike the mainland.  If I had to guess right now I'd say he's heading for the Carolinas but there's lots of time for that to change. 

Gonzalo.JPG (66 KB | 78 )
Gonzalo.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 12:15pm

Gonzalo is predicted to beat up Bermuda then move out into the open ocean.  He's supposed to make it up to a category four but is apparently little threat to the mainland.  The wave behind Gonzalo has a lot of convection and some organization to it.  I guess that's the next possible threat.  I still can't believe how quiet it's been.  So far this is the mildest hurricane season since '94.

Oct14.JPG (74 KB | 121 )
Oct14.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 11:50am

Bermuda is directly in the cross hairs of Gonzalo.  The depression behind Gonzalo is trying to form but shear is blowing it apart. 
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/atir.html

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 2:10pm

Well, this hurricane season has certainly been a dud.  That's a good thing.  Now on to winter.  Most sources seem to think it will be a snowy, cold one here in the Northeast.  I certainly hope so.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)