Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Making 3d printed glande mould (Read 18473 times)
paracordslinger

Paid by the hour, Older
by the minute

kansas
Re: Making 3d printed glande mould
Reply #45 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 9:03pm

CA, do you have any idea when they will be officially fir sale? I am definitley interested

Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #46 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 3:16pm

Wow, looks amazing!
I would buy several if you were to start selling them Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #47 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 7:14am

I'll be selling just as soon as I've sorted out the universal hole and plug design.

Just not had much time on the 3d print side recently.
The last week or two any time I've had has usually been spent with the printer on her side.
We've moved the on off switch from the front to the back, fitted a very neat ducting system that blows air directly on the area being printed. Wired up a 24 volt fan to the motherboard of the printer to power that. And next I have to figure a way to reaattach the print bed so that the new duct system doesn't interfere. At the moment it knocks off the bulldog clips. So no more bulldog clips.

I did spend all of yesterday at the tct show in birmingham - the uks largest 3d print exhibition.
According to dave I didn't stop talking the whole six hours we were there. I was too busy chatting to notice whistle
Great show - the industry has progressed amazingly in the last 12 months.  Some truly gobsmacking ideas and technology.  

I might be getting a desktop 3d scanner. I was trying to convince the project lead from Matter & Form that at least one of the demo scanners she had with her, really didn't need to go back to the states.  Smiley

We'll see.

But I'll get the final mould designs done asap. It's only changing round a couple of lines in each file and trying to thicken the text a little.

I'm also going to sign up for 3d hubs. Which sounds cool. 3dhubs get requests for things people want and then farms it out to someone in the local area and you get together with the person and print it for them. 3dhubs handle the admin and money side and take a percentage. But it sounds like a good place to start making geraldine pay for herself Smiley And i reallly hate admin.

I checked their site and there isn't anyone in my area. And I definitely can meet their quality criteria.
They use  a little marvin character as test and the last one I printed was better than anything they had on their stand at the show Smiley (curtesy of the ducting setup)

Anyway - the bloody harddrive I've been waiting for hasn't turned up yet, so I'll go do the mould and get geraldine right side up and working again.

I've got a whole stack of sample filament to try out - so the first few moulds might come in some fairly exotic filaments.

One firm even sells filaments with bronze and copper. That polish up and look just like metal. Weirdly the copper one looks and feels like stoneware pottery before it's sanded and polished. So I might get a roll of that as it's dual purpose.

Here's the final design. With and without text

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2014 at 9:47am by Curious Aardvark »  

finalmould-smooth.jpg (17 KB | 108 )
finalmould-smooth.jpg
universal-text.jpg (20 KB | 97 )
universal-text.jpg
skirtcutter.jpg (15 KB | 122 )
skirtcutter.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 12:20pm

right just started printing the above mould set.
Long as there are no issues - I think, I'm open for business Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #49 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 12:47pm

I'll take one with no text. I have some clay ready to go.

Just out of interest, would it be possible to produce a spherical mould with exactly the same volume as the glande shape? One thing I have had my mind on is doing a direct comparison experiment of glande vs sphere for identical weight projectiles, and quantifying the advantage that the glande shape gives you.

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #50 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 3:46pm

How much do you reckon you'll sell them for?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #51 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 6:32am

PandaMan wrote on Oct 1st, 2014 at 3:46pm:
How much do you reckon you'll sell them for?

see previous post: Quote:
My current thinking is £4 for blank mould set (2 halves and a cutter - no text)
£5 for one with text on one half and £6 for text on both halves.  £2.00 for one half blank and £3 for one half with customised text.
Skirt cutters are free with full mould sets and £1 by themselves.
I'll see if I can print them out of nylon - which would make them pretty much indestructible and more expensive as the nylon is 4x the cost of abs and needs post processing to remove the stringy bits.
The current abs ones, while pretty tough are a little brittle. I might make the cutting edge a little thicker - 1.5 mm instead of 1mm.

I'll be buying some different nylon in the near future - which might make it easier (not cheaper).

All prices would be plus P&P
And payable through paypal.

@ david.
Actually as I start with  a sphere and then rescale it to make the glande - that should be pretty simple.
Probably need to change the depth of the moulds. But that's not a problem.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #52 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 6:37am

Hmm - okay that doesn't work - anybody know how to calculate the volume of a toroid (think that's the right word).

I end up with a 50 mm diameter sphere. Which is obviously a much larger volume.

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #53 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 7:22am

Well, this is an oblate spheroid, just a sphere stretched along orthogonal directions, like the code you posted on page 1:

Quote:
$fn=100;
scale ([0.5,1.1,0.5]) sphere(25);

If that assumption is correct, you can figure out the volume by taking the volume of the original sphere and multiplying it by the 3 scaling factors (yay linear transformations!).

In your case, the scaling is multiplying the volume by 0.5 * 1.1 * 0.5 = 0.275

In order to get a perfect sphere of the same volume, you need to scale the radius r. Now the radius occurs as a 3rd power in the volume formula of a sphere (4/3 * pi * r^3), so you need to take that into account by multiplying the radius of the new sphere by the 3rd root of 0.275, i.e. 0.6503

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #54 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 7:31am

Ok, just tried this in OpenSCAD to see if the result is plausible, and it is  Wink

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #55 - Oct 3rd, 2014 at 8:58am

brilliant !
thank you very much. I'll try that as soon as I finish sorting out all the bloody sick laptops that have accumulated in my workshop this week Smiley
I'm not going to pretend I understand the maths Smiley

So thanks again Thumbs Up 

I can use that formula to set up a fully parametric mold 'program'.  Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #56 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 6:39am

Okay here's the spherical mould.
I'm going to make a ball later and test ther weight against the glandes. If algorias formula was right and I furtled the design correctly they should be identical.

Oh yeah and if you're wondering about the colour whistle
I've been testing different types of plastics this week. This is the only roll of pla I have.
But it's amazing stuff to print with. So I will be buying more Smiley
Apparently the really cheap stuff isn't as flexible as abs. But there are many new types that are supposed to be much more durable.

Pla is harder and more durable than abs - but slightly more brittle.
It's made from maize syrup and is biodegrdable in a hot compost heap.

But man is it ever easy to print with. No rafts, sticks like glue to my blue painters tape. Doesn't need a heated print bed.

I've just found my new favourite plastic Smiley

Oh yeah and I've also cracked ninjaflex this week. That's a super tough stretchy rubber like material. Bloody expensive, but very very useful.

here's a ninjaflex marvin being squashed
below the spherical mould.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #57 - Oct 6th, 2014 at 7:42am

I don't know how I missed this thread. Some very interesting stuff, if you are open for business I would like to place an order.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #58 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 6:09am

Hehe, I hope I didn't mess up the calculations. Can't edit the mould now that it exists in the real world, that's tough for a programmer to get used to  Grin

IP Logged

PandaMan

NOOOOOB!

UK
Reply #59 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 10:13am

algorias wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 6:09am:
Hehe, I hope I didn't mess up the calculations. Can't edit the mould now that it exists in the real world, that's tough for a programmer to get used to  Grin

The calculations seem correct to me Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy)