Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging in early C19th Peru (Read 2397 times)
Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Slinging in early C19th Peru
Sep 2nd, 2014 at 7:29pm

http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/15/63/83/PDF/Diario_de_Vargas.pdf

analyses a document from Peru, early C19th (to 1825), conflict between govmt troops and Indian guerillas, who fight with slings, throwing "galgas" (which apparently means "stone blocks"-- heavy smashers) from high ground. In addition to "hondeadores", the Indians also have "lanzeadores", and fight with "garrotes"-- sticks or clubs. \

So a clear example of colonial warfare involving slings (the diarist seems to have considered them more effective than the musket).

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: Slinging in early C19th Peru
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 2:20am

There were also riflemen on foot and , conventionally , the commander who delivered a pitched battle , not a skirmish, divided his forces by giving
the forefront of the riders - dragons - the task of carrying the first assault ; riflemen then advancing , while a part of the cavalry remained in reserve , ready to respond to the rescue of a group that would give signs of weakness . When the rain terms permitted, the infantry was to advance under the protection of the cavalry. The Indians posted on the heights fought by throwing boulders ( Galgas ) and batting sling. Then when the battle required a melee - which was frequent fore - they dealt with sticks and spears, at the cost of high mortality in their ranks.

Sounds to me like the "galgas" (a term I'm not familiar with in Spanish) is referring more to the large stones thrown down at the soldiers while they were in mountain passes or other channelized areas surrounded by high ground. Quite common in Bolivia…

"Battle sling" probably means smaller and faster projectiles in "direct fire" mode.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 3:07pm

Rockman might like this text. He might also know what "galgas" are.

In the .pdf search for "honda" and "hondeadores" for quotations in the Spanish.

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 9:51pm

Mark-Harrop wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 2:20am:
Sounds to me like the "galgas" (a term I'm not familiar with in Spanish) is referring more to the large stones thrown down at the soldiers while they were in mountain passes or other channelized areas surrounded by high ground.

Correct. It was the most effective weapon against the Spaniards in the early years of the conquest. Two Spaniard platoons were wiped out days apart using this very method around the year 1536 I believe. Metal breastplates and steel weapons wonīt help you against giant boulders falling down on you.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 9:52pm

Iīd like to read the whole thing but itīs not in a language I understand.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 2:38am

It's written in French. The word for sling in French is "fronde". If you should not be able to understand it with the help of an online translator, I'm willing to translate some passages for you. However not the full 400 pages  Wink. Maybe Caldou can help? It's his mother tongue.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 4:45am

Hi Rockman-- there's lots of quotes in Spanish in the footnotes, if you do a search for "honda" and "hondeadores"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)