Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Football shaped golf balls (Read 5442 times)
Ajax

You reap what you sow

Football shaped golf balls
Sep 1st, 2014 at 9:32pm

I traded one of my slings to the inventor of golfcross in exchange for some of his football shaped golf balls!
I'm sure that they will be great for an idea for a sling that i have,the design of the ball according to the few videos on youtube about the game means that when struck, it flies straight;no hook or slice.
However you can make the ball turn left or right according to how you place it on the tee, surely we as slingers can exploit this property. Smiley

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Re: Football shaped golf balls
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 9:35pm

Football shaped in this case means rugby or gridiron shaped balls. biconical. complete with golfball dimples, i think there is a photo of one in the photos section.

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 10:53pm

A while back (before I joined) the was a group who mailed golf cross balls from on to the next as a pass around.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 2:50am

Anyone actually ever play Golfcross?

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 2:59am

I think it would be more fun with opposing teams and those squishy balls I found…

More satisfying to throw than a tennis ball due to the mass…

Moving targets!

Action and Drama! (as soon as someone gets hit in the face hard it becomes real combat)

Could surpass Golfcross in popularity some day…   Wink

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 5:57pm

I have not played it, though the videos on youtube seem fun enough,basicly golf with some ball changes and a net instead of a hole.
I just wanted some of the balls so i could use them to make lead shot(weighing approx a pound each!)that kind of shot would be ideal for a slingdesign that i am messing around with.
Not many people have heard of golfcross

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 1:17am

A one-pound projectile takes the might of the legendary Heroslingaclese...

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:59am

nah a lb is easy to sling.

Yeah I was the one sending a golf cross ball around the world - I have no idea where it ended up and as far as I know no one ever made a mould out of it - which was kind of the whole point Smiley

They do fly very straight. Not as far as you'd think - they're not quite as dense as ordinary golf balls.

I believe golfcross was invented in new zealand, and it's a few years ago now.

CHOT uses golf cross balls - not heard from those guys for a while.

I can make a perfect biconical 2 part plastic mould pretty easily. But until I really get to grips with openscad, adding the dimples would be difficult (I'd have to add each one with it's own line of code).

I was thinking of adding a groove for copper wire to make it easy to recover from a beach with a metal detector. For distance slinging.

I've got some air dry clay - You could easily add dimples manually before it dries. I'm in the workshop today - and I picked up a new aluminium printbed yesterday - so geraldine can now be properly calibrated.

I'll have a bash at knocking up a glande mould Thumbs Up
Soon as I've printed out a new handle for the motorhome gtech electric sweeper Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
past-moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 10:12am

Once you make a mold, will you be able to cast some form of plastic in it?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 11:34am

Ah, see the: making a 3d printed glande mould thread I'm about to start.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 2:01pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:59am:
CHOT uses golf cross balls - not heard from those guys for a while.

Well, their homepage is down. YT, twitter, linkedin and similar accounts are still online. However no new posts in the last year as far as I have seen.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:14pm

C-A, yes the inventor of the game lives here, nice guy; he also is an author and a cartoonist.
As to 1 pound shot being easy to throw i guess i will find out soon enough.
I WISH i had acess to a 3d printer, but i will use a product called pinkysil to create my dimpled moulds, i am just wondering if the weight of the ammo would cancel out it's flight properties?
Never mind ,at fifty to sixty meters range there wont be much in the way of arcing shots, but there should be heaps of stopping power. Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 12:07pm

not sure there's any point dimpling a 1lb lead glande.

The dimples are really to help lighter missiles go further. lead is so dense, that kind of dimpling is going to produce negligible improvement at best.

Now on a smaller, lighter lead glande it could make a bigger difference - maybe.

Experiments need to be done Smiley

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2014 at 7:32pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 7th, 2014 at 12:07pm:
not sure there's any point dimpling a 1lb lead glande.

The dimples are really to help lighter missiles go further. lead is so dense, that kind of dimpling is going to produce negligible improvement at best.

Now on a smaller, lighter lead glande it could make a bigger difference - maybe.

Experiments need to be done Smiley

Dimpling works on anything with air resistance.  Mythbusters proved it by covering a car with clay, driving it, then dimpling the clay (and putting the cut clay inside the car to keep the weight constant) and driving it again.  Dimpled car got better gas mileage.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 6:31am

11% improvement…

Make some dimpled/undimpled and see if you get an 11% increase in distance.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)