Send Topic Print
Insomnia (Read 1489 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Insomnia
Aug 29th, 2014 at 12:10pm

We often share aspects of our personal lives here so I shouldn't feel funny bringing this up.  Since my wife, Marie, died last May I've been unable to get anything even remotely resembling a good night's sleep.  I average probably three hours of uninterrupted sleep per night.  Average meaning a lot of nights it's less than that.  I can't tell you the psychological reason(s) for this.  There are probably a few.  I just want it to stop.  Not sleeping makes functioning during the day very difficult.   Does anyone have any non narcotic insomnia remedies?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Insomnia
Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 2:07pm

Melatonin works well. Try taking it with Co- Q10 and L-Tryptophan. 20 minutes before going to bed.

Cut back on sugary foods later in the night as well as highly starchy foods and caffeine.

Some people like Valerian root but it's sedative qualities for me were not enough to offset the weird and stressful dreams it always gave me.

Chamomile teas are pretty effective as is good old fashioned warm milk before bed.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 2:44pm

I have to do something physical to tire me out before bedtime.  Usually, for me, it is a PT session for my neck.  I just extend them for a few more reps.  If I can't sleep, I'll get up and do some more.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 10:33pm

Try 25mg. of Benadryl before you go to bed. That should help. Also a nice glass of milk can often do the trick.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 11:36pm

I have bouts of insomnia, but I'm not sure how applicable my experiences are to your situation. Melatonin helps me get to sleep most of the time, but I'll still have weeks and months where I get between 3 and 5 hours of sleep. On the whole, I think it helps enough to be worth it.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #5 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 6:45am

Take a small pinch of salt,  let it dissolve on your tongue and drink 2 glasses of water,  it should knock you out xD.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2014 at 4:46pm

I was going to go for the cheap shot Embarrassed ie. 'A Nap' but then reconsidered. Sleep deprivation can cause problems.
I generally have a long steaming hot shower; to get a deep heat soak on my muscles, then a glass of milk....works for me  Wink YMMV ... but then I think of it as sleeplessness because it doesn't happen often and the shower  Cool works for me.
Good Luck RM

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:33am

My condolences on your loss, are you sleeping in the same  bed that you shared?
Perhaps a change of bed without so many memories? Meditation, time and healthy greiving plus all the other things the guys have said.
It is a custom here after a strong emotional event that has occured to get the site/house/workplace/ person blessed or cleansed and for those that put store in such things(myself included) it has a powerful positive effect.Major change can be traumatic and often throws one out of balance.

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 9:04am

I didn't read the whole post,  sorry RM about your wife  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 11:26am

Thanks, Guys.  Yes, Ajax, it's the same bed we shared.  Hopefully daughter Kate and I will be moving soon.  If all goes well we'll be in our new house in October.   That may help.  In the meantime I'll try the above suggestions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)