Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Strange Weather in the Northeast (Read 5238 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Strange Weather in the Northeast
Aug 26th, 2014 at 3:49pm

Very often our summers are brutal here in New Jersey.  We can get weeks or sometimes even months of high temperatures near or above one hundred degrees Fahrenheit.  Couple that with relative humidities that never go below ninety percent and that sickly yellow ozone pollution that goes along with such weather here and you've got the recipe for misery.
    This summer has been very different.  I can only recall one small heat wave in the beginning of the season.  Other that that it's been very cool, mild, and pleasant.  Highs in the low to mid eighties and lows down to the mid fifties have been the rule. I can't recall such a mild summer here ever.
    What does all of this mean?  Good question.  One thing I look for is plants being out of sync.  Like the wild or Choke Cherries.  Usually they're just starting to become ripe now.  This year they've come and gone already.  To me this  indicates some sort of weather anomaly like Hurricane Sandy.  I'd say there's a strong chance, even though it's been a very quiet season so far, that we get our butts kicked again here this Fall.  Beyond that it's just so hard to tell.  Does anyone have a long range weather prediction for the Autumn and Winter?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Strange Weather in the Northeast
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 3:53pm

Trade? It's close to 93o F by 9 in the morning. East Alabama is in a scorching heat wave!

Pikċru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 6:34pm

Rat man the weather here is whack as well, plants and trees are stressed and out of sync, i am betting that you will have an early, record breaking, brutal and long winter. Sorry. Sad
Good time for a holiday!

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Eoraptor
Funditor

Aim small, miss small.

Great Lakes Region (USA)
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2014 at 11:15pm

Weather's been different here, too, but I can't decide if I just think it's weird because the last few years were unusually hot and dry.  Whatever the reason, the critters outside love it.  The garden loves it.  I love it.  My dog would be loving it if he would hurry up and blow his coat.  The Great Lakes sent down some of their weather.  It can do this every year and I'd be fine.

It all comes in cycles and then is mushed into averages, right?  So maybe this is just a mild hearkening back to Little Ice Age weather!  Idk.  But it's really nice, whatever it is.  Frequent thunderstorms and rain, but almost no tornado warnings and NO great big gnarly hailstorms of the sort that have been common for the past couple years!  WOOoooOOO
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:01pm by Eoraptor »  

"The very fact that there is life here at all, and that everything that's alive today, is so, because everything else passed away."  -Jack Horner
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
"Yet the finer they were the frailer; the cleverer, the more wrong-headed."   -North

IP Logged

Toby
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Nürnberg
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 2:20am

Weather is a bitch these days! Cold rainy summers and warm winters. When there is sun there is a hell lot of wind!

:slinger:                                             Mad Monkey

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 10:02am

One other thing I failed to mention.  My Autumn hay fever is also out of sync.  Usually it starts in mid September.  This year it started two weeks ago.  It's kicking my butt now.  Like I said, the last time things were way out of whack we ended up with Sandy. (my best prediction ever)  I'm keeping my eyes opened this Fall.  I agree with Ajax.  If I had to make a long range prediction for the winter based on this cool, wet summer I'd say we're in for an early, cold winter with a lot of snow.  I'm not pushing the panic button but there's nothing wrong with being prepared. 

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 7:39pm

I also think that those in the snow zones of europe and north america. will see some very unusal weather, mabye snow tornadoes or static storms or that creeping ice that was reported a few years ago.
But power cuts, burst pipes coupled with food increases is bad enough.
How was your local crop growing season?

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 12:01pm

Here in "The Garden State" the harvest has been great.  A mild, wet summer is just what our farmers dream of.  My hay fever, which should be happening for at least another month, hasn't been this bad since I was a kid.  It's driving me nuts.  Something is out of kilter.  Something is way off like when we had Sandy.  I don't know if we'll have a hurricane but something big and unusual will happen.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2014 at 6:58pm

Rat man, look to sott.net.com if you want some answers.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 3:04pm

Yes, interesting stuff, Ajax.  I only glanced over it but I'll study it more in depth later.  We've been spoiled here by our nice cool summer.  It's a VERY muggy 92F here today.  Most summers that would feel very normal by this part of the season.  In that we're not used to what is usually our normal summer weather this 92 feels like 102.  Ugh.  Bring on the fall.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 5:49pm

It's a very large site, covering all kinds of subjects,they seem to be uncannily accurate at predicting weather events as well as other things. must be their source material.
Sometimes it is uncomfortable to read,sometimes scary.
I encourage you to read on.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 1:35pm

I'll do that.  It sounds like my cup of tea.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 5th, 2014 at 8:48am

The wild Chicken Grapes have just ripened.  I tried some this morning.  Usually they're in big bunches and the grapes are about the size of peas.  Each grape has a relatively big seed inside that makes up about half of the grape.  This is really weird.  The bunches are tiny compared to a normal year.  They're maybe 1/12 their normal size.  The grapes are about 2/3 as big as normal and the seeds are tiny and not developed well at all.  The seeds are maybe 1/5 their normal size and soft instead of hard. Very strange stuff.

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #13 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 10:04pm

Here,  winter is possibly less than a month away,  good thing i got winter clothing xD but tested my parka out last year and it was too hot probably meant for -40 F weather lol.  It's now chilly and rainy and windy.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2014 at 11:27pm

jABAMES, I reckon that your heavy winter jacket is going to get a work out this up coming winter, it looks like you guys are going to have a very hard winter, possibly dry but cold Sad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)