Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging in a survival situation (Read 2332 times)
Drizzt

Texas
Slinging in a survival situation
Aug 20th, 2014 at 3:47pm

If you were stuck in lets say, a forest in New Mexico or any forest of your choosing with only a knife and the clothes on your back. What material would you use to make your sling? Would you opt for plant fibers such as yucca leaves? Or would you go for a vine or ivy? Or maybe a shoelace for cordage? Another question is would you be confident enough in your ability to be able to take down prey knowing that it could mean not eating for that night, (disregarding other important things such as fire or shelter)? Just something I've been wondering about...

Gratitude begins when my sense of entitlement ends.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: Slinging in a survival situation
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 4:11pm

You need to check out my tin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4eOPOPb08

I'd probably use half my leather for a small split pouch and braid 5 strands of floss together for the cords…then I know I would have a good sling.

Processing natural cordage is time consuming, especially when you are hungry!

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Drizzt

Texas
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 5:10pm

That's awesome! And yeah natural cordage would be time consuming, but worth it if you already had an established hunting system going on.

Gratitude begins when my sense of entitlement ends.

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 8:32pm

Mark-Harrop wrote on Aug 20th, 2014 at 4:11pm:
You need to check out my tin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4eOPOPb08

I'd probably use half my leather for a small split pouch and braid 5 strands of floss together for the cords…then I know I would have a good sling.

Processing natural cordage is time consuming, especially when you are hungry!

Creating a sling is also a bit time consuming if you're already in a survival situation.  I would have that piece of leather at least pre-punched (while you have access to better tools.  And preferably cut into shape with measured cordage nearby.  Then all you need to do is tie it together and you're ready to go.  And you can still use it for those other things too even after it's punched.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 9:13pm

I'd use cordage for deadfalls and snares it would be more productive than my slinging

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 11:48pm

If I had an overabundance of waterfowl available to hunt, and lots of good rocks, I would make a good sling. I have been reverse twisting cordage and braiding for years with raw materials (inner hickory bark is one of my favorites in the NE U.S.). Honestly, I don't really think it takes that long. If I had access to an agave plant or something similar, I'd definitely give it a try. You actually have a lot of downtime when you are in the woods, at least once you have things set up a bit. I think it'd be worth a try, and I'd make a heavy duty 26" pacific Islander style 5 split pouch sling from Yucca. I'd also have a throwing stick for if I actually wanted to eat.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 12:37am

I would take off my paracord bracelet, unravel it, and use the leather tongue of my boot for a pouch.    Wink

1 Samuel 17:50

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2014 at 7:04pm

I would use yucca when I was below 6,000 feet in elevation, but would switch to dogbane (apocynum spp.) at higher elevations because it is easier to work, softer and stronger than yucca.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 5:50am

I always carry enough cordage to make a simple sling, and I have practiced making slings by braiding grass or bark strips, so in a survival situation I could always make one.  I suppose it could at least come in handy to scare away predators.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 10:59pm

Combine Dan and Walters statement and that's where I stand. 

Inner bark is the easiest and fastest. You can make a nice sling from it but it's not as strong as I would like. Yucca is good. We have tons of milkweed around here and I've made cordage from it in the past. Basically, if you know what your doing it's not hard, and if you have your camp set up, and traps, you will have plenty of down time for sling making.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)