Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Braiding - historical sling (Read 2238 times)
Myghal
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Arkansas City, KS
Braiding - historical sling
Aug 12th, 2014 at 10:19pm

I am new here. I am curious as to which braid techniques were used historically for braids. My main focus is the time between 600 and 1600 AD.  Special interest in European countries and knowledge.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Braiding - historical sling
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2014 at 12:19pm

I don't know of any braided Medieval slings, but there if you look at the staff sling on a fresco from a N. Italian or S German fresco (I thought it was ca. 1520s, but in fact it's ca. 1475), discussed somewhere on this site, you can see that the pouch is clearly a huge woven job, which implies braided thongs, and hence can give an idea of what a Mediterranean sling looked like. I'd imagine slings in Medieval Spain to have looked like they do know. 

Viking leather slings from York are leather thong and pouch jobs, not woven or braided.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2014 at 12:40pm

Look at this
http://historical-academy.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Landsnecht-Sling...

(“Interior of the Guard Room (fresco)”, Italian School, (15th century) / Castello di Issogne, Val d’Aosta, Italy" is how they date it).

You can see the woven pouch

IP Logged

Alaeddin
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 4:56am

The shepherd slings in the Middle East were braided in this time period for sure. Their are museum examples. Hi buddy.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)