Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Karambit (Read 9259 times)
Banzai

Nicaragua
Karambit
Aug 12th, 2014 at 11:31am

I was just wondering if there were any other karambit users in this forum.  If so, do you use it much?  Do you think it is practical?  I personally carry a folding EDC version of the karambit,

1 Samuel 17:50

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Karambit
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 2:26pm

I didn't know what a karambit was so I just looked it up on Wikipedia.  I think it would be an excellent knife for self defense.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 2:37pm

I work it into my EDC rotation every once in a while. The hooked blade is particularly good for opening and breaking down boxes. It doesn't excel at any one cutting chore, but it will do most any of them passably.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 11:31pm

Yes, Rat Man,  it would be.  But hopefully I never will have to but it to the test. Smiley 

Masiakasaurus,  I agree, it does cut boxes well.  I personally like it for cutting jobs because of the finger loop.  It makes for an excellent grip on the knife!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 6:00pm

I have seen Doug Marcadia's videos on Funker Tactical and he can definitely make it seem like a formidable weapon.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx63kygF1cs

I have done some practice with them as well, and I have found that the general use and fighting application is different than a straight edge. When using the karambit in hand to hand, you need to think of it as an extension of your arm, which makes your hand more effective. You don't actually gain any significant reach, but you do have the advantage of an edged weapon in your hand. With a more traditional style knife, holding the edge forward, you get those precious few inches that make the difference between a light incision and a serious cut.

Still an effective weapon IMO, it just requires a different training method than most knives.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 10:52pm

I totally agree!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 8:12pm

I personally will probably purchase the Fox 599 Karambit in a couple months. I'm an avid martial artist and I think it really compliments empty hand arts. Here's another one of Doug Marcada's new videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_llxeX_4qY&list=UUo_0OLNDT9mhlALA-N_c8nw

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 10:56pm

Mine is the cheap Boker Plus knockoff. The oversized thumb studs act like a poor-man's wave.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #8 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 12:57am

I love how graceful and fluent Doug Marcada makes it look!

IP Logged

Toby
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Nürnberg
Reply #9 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 12:18pm

That knife looks like it is useful to cut herbs or flax.
I cant imagine what else it could be useful.

:slinger:                                             Mad Monkey

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #10 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:36pm

I think that's sarcasm.... lol

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #11 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 10:53pm

A lot, actually. Hawkbill shaped knives are great for anything that requires a pull cut.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

slyserpico

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 7:54pm

I never used a karambit, but I have had a Spyderco Harpy (hawkbill w/ serrated edge) in my EDC rotation for over 10 years. When I was unloading trucks for a living it was an invaluable tool to quickly and effortlessly cut straps, shrink wrap and packing tape that got tangled in falling merchandise or the forklift. I'd like the idea of a karambit, fixed blade with a retention loop as a great tool, but it isn't low profile enough for my taste as an EDC. As far as SD goes, it would probably be okay as a last resort, but again it takes up a lot of room and added weight for a "just in case" EDC.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 11:59am

I have also used a Spyderco hawkbill for many year, mine is an old Spyderhawk.  I mostly use it as a small sicle/pruning knife in the garden.  If I wanted to carry a fixed blade hawkbill I think I`d rather make a leather sheat for a Mora linoleum knife than carry a karambit.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #14 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 2:04pm

Most karambits I know of are actually folding knives.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)