Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
Taking bets on world economic collapse (Read 18120 times)
Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Re: Taking bets on world economic collapse
Reply #60 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 9:50am

Take the Twin Towers out of the equation.
Bldg 7….minor external damage, office fires, complete "demolishion-like" collapse. You can see the charges go off right before it pancaked severing the core columns, just like they do in a controlled demo.

Heres a short bldg 7 video…worth a look if you don't know much about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGfNZFiRZI

Has anyone actually read what Operation Northwoods proposed?

No conspiracy needed….check your tin foil hat at the door.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #61 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 10:32am

JAG wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 8:05am:
As an engineer you should know that you can't make a statement like that. There is no such thing as a fixed outcome. Only a predictable outcome based on previous experience. You do not know the complexities of the fire at any one moment, the state of the aluminium cladding, the state of the internal steel structure. All of these and many more are unknowns. Or are you saying that iron oxide and aluminium are not present in a steel and aluminium framed building? As I said, is it possible? Yes.

You're getting into probability theory, where practical impossibilities almost surely occur. In that context, "almost surely" has a very specific meaning that doesn't make impossible things any less impossible.
Your analysis suggests that all tall aluminium and steel buildings are prone to collapse, simply through the combustion of internal fitments.

They are. If a fire is allowed to burn hot enough and long enough it will defeat the insulation around the support structure and cause the supports to fail. The same is true for any load bearing structure held up by steel beams.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #62 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 12:17pm

Mark-Harrop wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 9:50am:
Take the Twin Towers out of the equation.
Bldg 7….minor external damage, office fires, complete "demolishion-like" collapse. You can see the charges go off right before it pancaked severing the core columns, just like they do in a controlled demo.

Heres a short bldg 7 video…worth a look if you don't know much about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGfNZFiRZI

Has anyone actually read what Operation Northwoods proposed?

No conspiracy needed….check your tin foil hat at the door.

You say it's not a conspiracy video, and yet all the related videos are conspiracy videos.  One of us is missing something.

Sorry, Mark, but the guy who actually claimed it was demolitions was a radio host.  (6:45) The guy who claimed it was brought down by fire was an engineer.  (7:45)  "Building 7 was a steel frame building and was the first steel frame building to collapse due to fire."  - Structural Engineer Ramon Gilsanz on Building 7: in the above video.

I feel like you might be confused because demolitions crews borrow words to describe their work.  Pull could mean to pull everyone out.  It could mean to pull everyone back.  It could mean to pull the building down.

Similarly, 'implosion' simply means that the building collapsed in on itself.  There are really only two ways it could fall: in or out.  It might be lucky that it fell in, or it just might be that there were more support columns that were "in the middle" of the building than were on the edge.  If an support on the edge fell first, then the building likely would have fallen in that direction.  Though, I defer to the expert, Mas, on the subject.

And besides, I really don't think our government is competent enough to pull off a conspiracy like this.  Grin

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Reply #63 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 12:51pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 10:32am:
As an engineer you should know that you can't make a statement like that. There is no such thing as a fixed outcome. Only a predictable outcome based on previous experience. You do not know the complexities of the fire at any one moment, the state of the aluminium cladding, the state of the internal steel structure. All of these and many more are unknowns. Or are you saying that iron oxide and aluminium are not present in a steel and aluminium framed building? As I said, is it possible? Yes.

You're getting into probability theory, where practical impossibilities almost surely occur. In that context, "almost surely" has a very specific meaning that doesn't make impossible things any less impossible.
Your analysis suggests that all tall aluminium and steel buildings are prone to collapse, simply through the combustion of internal fitments.

They are. If a fire is allowed to burn hot enough and long enough it will defeat the insulation around the support structure and cause the supports to fail. The same is true for any load bearing structure held up by steel beams.

So you think that a steel building is susceptible to fire. Question. Since their inception nearly 100 years ago, how many steel framed buildings have collapsed due to fire?

What you are really talking about is the severity of the fire. How is it possible that such heat was generated for so long?

Your explanation is aviation fuel as the accellerent. Yet there is no evidence that sufficient quantities of aviation fuel fell on building 7. Or that any aviation fuel at all fell on building 7. The fires started when the adjacent tower fell. Not when the towers where hit.

There is also insufficient fuel to feed a fire of that intensity and duration contained within a typical office environment. Structural steel beams only carry the partial weight of the floor above, unless they are vertical columns. This type of lattice structure is incredibly strong. Even after partial damage.

For the building to have collapsed into its own footprint the structural columns had to have failed. Completely sheared. The buckling of several horizontal floor beams due to heat and loading could not do that.

For it to pancake, all horizontal beams and structural columns needed to be sheared. An office fire at altitude will not do that. A fire feed with an accellerent, be it placed or through accident of circumstance, could.

No Entry. Works In Progress.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #64 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:26pm

No, I know that almost all buildings are susceptible to fire. Progressive collapse due to fire damage isn't an uncommon occurrence even though the collapse of World Trade Center was the first time it happened to any buildings with steel frames. I suggest you read the paper by Bazant if you want to understand how steel beams fail in a fire; it does not require shearing of all the horizontal beams. Your assumptions about the burning of building seven are not backed up by failure analysis of the collapse.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Reply #65 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:02pm

Masiakasaurus wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 1:26pm:
No, I know that almost all buildings are susceptible to fire. Progressive collapse due to fire damage isn't an uncommon occurrence even though the collapse of World Trade Center was the first time it happened to any buildings with steel frames. I suggest you read the paper by Bazant if you want to understand how steel beams fail in a fire; it does not require shearing of all the horizontal beams. Your assumptions about the burning of building seven are not backed up by failure analysis of the collapse.

When was Bazant's paper published?

There was no progressive collapse, but sudden catastrophic failure of the entire structure. Strange as only small sections where exposed to fire.

So WTC was the first. When was aluminium first used as a cladding?

Also you answered none of my points about accelerant. This is key. Without accellerent fuelling the fire the steel beams could not fail n the manner you suggest.

I'm sorry but when I see the same government being caught pumping systematic lies in nearly all subsequent events. When i see video of building 7's collapse, and when i apply my engineering background and analyse the problem, I cannot accept the official report. Something is amiss. Why? I don't know.

Why did David Kelly suddenly decide to kill himself?

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #66 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 6:20pm

JAG wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:02pm:

Academic papers include their date of publication and the dates of any revisions. You should look at it, it also addresses the temperature needed for the steel supports to fail. Originally, it was published on October 2001 after being submitted on September 13, 2001. The latest update, which is the version I linked to, was published in 2008.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #67 - Sep 21st, 2014 at 9:26pm

Project northwoods, proof that your govt is a psycho's playground!! Angry

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

JAG

Pussy Cat

GB
Reply #68 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 1:25am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 6:20pm:
JAG wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 5:02pm:

Academic papers include their date of publication and the dates of any revisions. You should look at it, it also addresses the temperature needed for the steel supports to fail. Originally, it was published on October 2001 after being submitted on September 13, 2001. The latest update, which is the version I linked to, was published in 2008.

Oh boy, here we go again.

Masiakasaurus wrote on Sep 21st, 2014 at 6:20pm:
Academic papers include their date of publication and the dates of any revisions.

Really? Oh my. How clever. Being a dumb blond I'd never of realised. So where is your link?

So, a paper conveniently produced within days of 9/11 supports the "official" explanation of what happened. And based on this paper the government confirms building 7 collapsed due to fire.

Yet, strangely we continue building mega structures from steel and aluminium.

Nope that's not suspicious at all.

IP Logged

Mark-Harrop
Funditor

cracker of zombieskulls

worldwide
Reply #69 - Sep 22nd, 2014 at 12:10pm

Windsor tower, Madrid…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4MjsVnasLA

…all that remained was a smoking steel skeleton.

Hmmm….compare and contrast.

My daughters can figure-8...

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #70 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 4:13am

I read the Bazant paper. A few thoughts on that.

It's quite unusual to get to recycle a scientific journal paper like that through, apparently, several incarnations over a period of years.

Peer review is a very strange animal. Referees are anonymously chosen by an editor of the journal. There is usually a rather small number (two or three), so I rest no faith whatever on that. Sad particularly since the standpoints of referees on contentious subjects is usually very well known to the editors.

I was struck that if they had attempted to publish such a failure scheme in the Engineering literature before the events of 9/11 they would probably have been ridiculed.

If this is a new and valid model, as apparently it is, has there been any change in building codes to enforce some kind of acknowledgement of this?

I was absolutely appalled by this: "... the recent fire tests of Zeng et al.(2003), which showed that structural steel columns under a sustained load of 50% to 70% of their cold strength collapse when heated to 250C."

I wonder what happened to any structural engineer dumb enough to raise this failure mode with his clients, given the very expensive changes that would be needed to prevent it. Wait - I know the answer to that Smiley.

I assume now that it is cripplingly expensive to insure such buildings, given that a decent office fire can bring the whole thing crashing to the ground?

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #71 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:02pm

So .. In this report are they saying that steel like what my oven is made of when heated to 250c and with some sustained applied weight equal to at least 50% of what it can bear when cold will make it collapse? Huh
Does anyone believe this, what is the melting point of steel by the way?

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Jabames
Interfector Viris Spurii

:3

Alaska
Reply #72 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:06pm

About 2500 F

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #73 - Sep 23rd, 2014 at 7:10pm

Thanks Jabames, do you or anyonre out there also know the load tolarance of a steel beam used in construction?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #74 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 5:33pm

JAG wrote on Sep 22nd, 2014 at 1:25am:
Yet, strangely we continue building mega structures from steel and aluminium.

Nope that's not suspicious at all.

4 points you should be aware of.
1. Steel is MUCH cheaper than reinforced concrete for high-rise structures, and since it is MUCH lighter, the frame doesn't have as much dead weight to support.

2. Steel weakens at quite low temperatures. Around 850 degrees F, most structural steels lose around 40% of their strength- but more than twice that in stiffness.

3. As each column fails due to fire, it puts more load on the columns around it. This overloads the columns and they buckle as well.

4. Jet fuel easily burns hotter than 2,000 degrees F, which is almost the melting point of plain-carbon steel! If you dump 24,000 gallons of fuel into almost any modern structure, and light said fuel on fire, that structure generally burns to the ground, and often collapses if made of steel or wood.

24,000 gallons is a lot of fuel.

Steel structures are far less vulnerable to explosives than concrete. But they are far more vulnerable to fire.

"One of the major weaknesses of steel as a structural material is its susceptibility to fire induced loss of strength as well as a change in material properties after heating and cooling.  The SCM refers you to the AISC Design Guide 19, Fire Resistance of Structural Steel Framing.  Fire behavior is an extensive topic that needs to be considered when designing steel buildings.  In this first steel design text however, we will not be spending any time on the topic as we will have our hands full learning the strength and serviceability requirements of the AISC specification.  Just be aware that a steel structure essentially loses all its strength in a normal building fire situation.  Fire safety techniques focus on slowing down the heating process so that occupants can safely exit the building during a fire event.  A dramatic example of the effect of fire on steel was the collapse of the twin towers in New York after the terrorist attacks on that city.  The collapse was largely the result of the core supporting structure losing its strength during the fire that followed the plane crashes."
quoted from http://www.bgstructuralengineering.com/BGSCM14/BGSCM002/

Notes
The max burning temperature of jet fuel(jet-a) in air is 4,040 degrees F. The melting temperature of steel is approximately 2,500 degrees F.
The most common structural steel, ASTM A36, fails at 50% load around 900 degrees F.
A candle flame can easily get over 1,000 degrees F.

Also, most modern buildings are built with fire insulation on the steel elements. This keeps the building from collapsing due to fire. The Twin Towers were built to withstand a 2 hour office fire- paper, desks, carpeting, etc burning. Those items generally burn at 1,000 degrees F.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar)