Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My new rabbit stick doesn't seem to be flying right I could use some help (Read 1573 times)
Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
My new rabbit stick doesn't seem to be flying right I could use some help
Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:21am

I made a new rabbit stick yesterday out of a piece of walnut it's 25 inchs overall planed flat on both sides with somewhat rounded edges just under a pound I'd say and about 3/4 inch thick. I tried it out on a half gallon milk jug full of water 10 or 15 feet away and I was all over the place could it be the rabbit stick isn't shaped right, angles wrong etc. etc. Or is it more likely it's just me throwing terrible/ trying to use too hard of a target right off I've had decent success throwing unmodified sticks at trees in the woods so I'm not sure myself what's the cause so any input and advice would be much appreciated but bear in mind I can't watch videos so please don't post video links they won't do me any good. Thanks in advance. P.S. sorry if this wasn't new thread worthy I wasn't really sure.

0730141653-1-1.jpg (73 KB | 127 )
0730141653-1-1.jpg

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: My new rabbit stick doesn't seem to be flying right I could use some help
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 11:53am

is it flat on the top and bottom? I think it is supposed to be lenticular.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:10pm

It's flat both sides and the edges are beveled I had read somewhere that kind of cross section worked decent but I noticed when I threw it in the air it had a slight rise not a whole lot but it flew kinda to the right imagine a helicopter tilting abit to change course so it wound up flying to the right of where I threw it so I've had my suspicions the cross section could be the culprit but I'm still in the learning process for making rabbit sticks my knowledge of them is somewhat limited

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:31pm

try making the whole thing lenticular.
it isn't too hard if you have a hand plane or sander of some sort, and even better it is so much more effective.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:37pm

Alright I believe I've got just enough thickness to be able to do that and once I get it done and test it again I'll post the results right here. Thanks for  the help squirrelslinger

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Curious Aardvark)