Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wendol Spear Thrower from "The Thirteenth Warrior" (Read 1936 times)
Steven_M._Peffley
Tiro

Pennsylvania Coal Region
Wendol Spear Thrower from "The Thirteenth Warrior"
Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:09pm

Hi Everyone,

Years ago I remember seeing a write-up (no pictures though) in the World Atlatl Association news letter on this. Watching the movie is no good because the scenes where the Wendol are using the spear throwers are so dark that no detail can be made out - it almost looks like they are throwing the darts by hand.
       Recently I found that one of them was being sold on a site specializing in movie props (www.propstore.com) and here is the description:

A Decorated Atlatl Weapon from the 1999 John McTiernan directed action/adventure film, The 13th Warrior. In the film, Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan (Antonio Banderas) is an Arab ambassador. When he is exiled from his homeland he comes across a band of Norse warriors who he soon discovers he is destined to join. Weapons of this style can be seen used by the Wendol warriors during their attacks on the encampments.

The body of the atlatl is sculpted from wood that is attached to a plastic bone. The handle has been wrapped with leather and includes a loop for the wrist. At the tip of the atlatl is a tuft of animal hair along with a small metal pin used to hold a spear.

This item remains in in good condition.

Item size - 3.0" x 4.0" x 25.0" (7.62cm x 10.16cm x 63.5cm)

Note the mention of a small metal pin; this indicates that the curved, claw-like thing (might be horn, but is probably plastic) at the end is not the spur. At a guess, the metal pin should be on the side of the deep groove in the wood body of the spear thrower. Maybe not though, after all, this is Hollywood. Roll Eyes
    I am almost positive that others have looked for this in vain, so here it is.

Steven

198291.jpg (225 KB | 188 )
198291.jpg

If you kill them at a distance, you won't have to dance with them.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Re: Wendol Spear Thrower from "The Thirteenth Warrior"
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 11:47am

Bet they had fun constructing that prop.  Made first and foremost for primitive coolness.  If there is a metal pin insidethe groove the hook at the end is there just to make it look even cooler.

Cool Wink

The atlatls I have made is just simple whittled sticks.

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Re: Wendol Spear Thrower from "The Thirteenth Warrior"
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 3:27pm

I'm no expert at atlatls so excuse the ignorance of this question but if the hook isn't the spur it's just for looks and you throw it from the metal pin inside the groove wouldn't the hook possibly interfere with the throw seems to me as you went into the follow through the dart or spear would hit the hook possibly knocking it off course

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man)