Send Topic Print
Hello from Portugal (Read 931 times)
Grif
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Portugal, Europe
Hello from Portugal
Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:09pm

Hello there, i'm Grif and i'm from Portugal.
I've been interested in archery, slings and generally speaking ancient warfare for as long as I can remember and even though I did get a couple of bows I never really got into slinging, partly I think because i'm not really handy with tools/knots/whatnot but I always had the itch to try it.

As a joke I made a crappy sling with hard fabric pouch and double stranded boot lacing and surprisingly it felt really good throwing stone across the fields so I decided to look for more information about slinging and... here I am.

I got 60m of sisal twine for 1€ (criminally cheap) and equipped with the rockman tutorial I plan on doing my first real sling tomorrow.

Cheers  Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Hello from Portugal
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 5:54am

Hi Grif, welcome to the forum. Most here would advice you to start slinging with tennisballs. They are quite good to sling and it is a lot safer for a beginner. Good luck!

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 8:38pm

Hello and welcome to the site.  I normally tell beginning slingers to use tennis balls when first starting out.  They are much safer until you can get the projectile to go in the direction you want.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 1:33pm

Hi, Grif;
   Welcome.  The first "good" sling that I ever made was from Rockman's excellent tutorial also except mine was made of cotton.  Good luck with your sisal sling.  Maybe you could post a picture when it's done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)