Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello from Tennessee (Read 1145 times)
Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Hello from Tennessee
Jul 25th, 2014 at 7:56am

Hey y'all my name's Dustin and as the subject says I live in Tennessee.  I stumbled across slinging.org about 2 weeks ago while compiling a list of equipment for a bug out bag.  I was searching for a light easily portable weapon that could take small game, I happened to think of the sling.  I started doing some research and my research lead me here. This past week I made my first and second sling, the first a minor success made with a piece of doubled up khaki pants material and braided twine (I think that's what it is, that's what I call it anyway Wink ) turned out to be a little too light and liked to twist a lot. My second I used a piece of a leather belt and paracord using the first how to on the how to page, sorry I can't remember the writers name but it's the how to build simple sling one. The second one was a major success compared to the first it has a better weight and it's sturdier doesn't twist as bad either, so far I've tried sidearm, overhand, and underhand.  So far I've had the best luck with underhand feels more natural but I've also had some success with overhand but not much, as for how well I'm actually doing I've hit a probably 20"x20" box 3 times first in the top right corner second in the bullseye (I have a target on it) Neither of those made a hole but the 3rd was another bullseye and left a decent size hole  Smiley I plan on making another possibly a split pouch or cupped pouch as well as making a staff sling.  In fact I had a new design idea for the staff sling which I will try to keep y'all informed on as it progresses  Wink  I'm just not sure where I would post that yet lol anyway I guess I'll leave it at that for the time being, hope to hear from y'all soon but I won't be back on today til about 4ish I guess after I get home from work. P.s. I think I accidentally added a random smiley somewhere in all that while proof reading lol so if you see an outta place smiley that's why.

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Hello from Tennessee
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 10:01pm

Hey! I'm up in Kentucky!

Welcome to the site!

How far are you away from said box???

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:57pm

Thanks squirrelslinger Smiley I've been standing probably about 15 to 20 feet from it and I was hitting right around it usually. I tried again today however and had considerably better luck with overhand throws I hit the box at least 4 times in the couple hours I threw  Grin the box was ripped wide open once I was through.

Let us not despair but act. Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past, let us accept our own responsibility for the future. - John F. Kennedy

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 2:15pm

Hi, Lee;
    Welcome.  I'm looking forward to seeing your staff sling design.  What part of Tennessee are you from?  I was stationed at Ft. Campbell back in the seventies.

IP Logged

Lee_the_slinger

Slinging Rocks!

Decatur,Tennessee
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 2:37pm

I live in Meigs county and as for the staff sling idea some people on here already beat me to the idea I was going to attach one cord to to the end of the staff and make the other cord much longer and run it through a loop at the end of the staff and hold it with my thumb so it would be variable release but I guess I'm lagging behind the crowd  Grin but that's alright I'll come up with something cool eventually  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)