Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Holy cow!!! RatMan was right!!! (Read 4634 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Holy cow!!! RatMan was right!!!
Jul 24th, 2014 at 11:15pm

Giant Snakes in New Jersey!!!!! Mad Monkey The News is saying that a 16 foot Anaconda is swimming around in Lake Hopatcong. Keep your dogs, cats and small children inside folks.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Holy cow!!! RatMan was right!!!
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2014 at 11:29pm

But the rattles?

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 1:10am

.17 hornet to the head.
Problem solved.
Or if you want to overkill the crap out of it, .50 BMG.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:37am

Nah, don't kill it. Why would you want to kill it? Catch it and give it too a zoo or release it somewhere els in the wild. Such a big snake should be cherished.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:33pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:37am:
Nah, don't kill it. Why would you want to kill it? Catch it and give it too a zoo or release it somewhere els in the wild. Such a big snake should be cherished.

Only kill what you're going to eat.  Snake can taste pretty good.  But a snake from Jersey?  Naw.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 25th, 2014 at 5:03pm

Oxnate wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 3:33pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 25th, 2014 at 11:37am:

Only kill what you're going to eat.  Snake can taste pretty good.  But a snake from Jersey?  Naw.

snakes in general taste good.
a snake is a steak!
Except cobras...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:09am

A 16 ft anaconda loose in New Jersey is not a catch-and-relocate kind of problem, it's a put-it-down-before-it-hurts-someone kind of problem.

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 8:00pm

Yup, Ratman said he saw a rattle snake about that length if I remember correctly.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jul 26th, 2014 at 8:31pm

It's an invasive species along with boa constrictors that well meaning fools introduced into an ecosystem that has no predators for it, they are taking over the Everglades and the coastal marshes and moving north.

I generally shoot every one I see.  And no, I don't eat them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 6:57am

Masiakasaurus wrote on Jul 26th, 2014 at 12:09am:
A 16 ft anaconda loose in New Jersey is not a catch-and-relocate kind of problem, it's a put-it-down-before-it-hurts-someone kind of problem.

yes it is.

That's not big enough to eat a person.

in the wild anaconda's are pretty shy of people.

Catch and put in  a zoo.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 9:13am

^^

The only problem with that is that anacondas have become well established in the US. We aren't necessarily talking about a dozen or so unwise releases, we are talking thousands if not more of them at this point in the US. The everglades are quite large and they are breeding like crazy out there.

Just be glad no one has (yet) released a breeding population of fer de lances. I imagine that would cause some problems.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 11:48am

The snake I saw, along with three members of my family, at various times was definitely a rattler. I hold no grudge against anyone who doesn't believe me.  If I hadn't seen it, close up, several times, with other eye witnesses,  I would probably doubt it too.   
     There would be no need to kill a sixteen foot anaconda.  Such a snake would be very easy for a man of normal strength to handle.  My Albino Burmese Python was bigger than that and many times I handled him when he was powerfully angry at me.  My Colombian Red Tailed Boa was almost that big.  She was a sweetheart.  Fearing and wishing to kill such a creature, that really only wants to be left alone, is unreasonable and indicates a lack of knowledge/experience with such animals.  He has much more to fear from you than you from him.  Besides, once summer is over he's a goner anyway.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 12:49pm

That's a 150lb to 200lb water born constrictor whose natural prey includes capybara and white tailed deer, it is loose in a suburban neighborhood, and its behavior has been modified by being in captivity. All due respect for those that want to save it, but an anaconda capable of eating capybara is more than big enough to drag an adult human being into the water to drown them and such attacks have been recorded here and in their native environment. It's just not worth the risk to save members of an invasive species that is not endangered, IMHO. And that doesn't even address the fact that exotic snakes (and European starlings, armadillos, kudzu, poisonous toads, wild boar, Asian carp, zebra mussels...) are destroying native plant and animal populations in the areas where they've been introduced. Conservation includes culling problem species, even if you aren't trying to eradicate them all.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:59pm

I lean towards Masi here. No, probably won't kill a full grown adult. Now. 10-13 year old boys? A couple of dares, a bite, and by the time adults get on the scene the ribs and internal organs crushed.

I know they have a hunting season in FL for the Constrictors that are taking over the everglades.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 12:37am

perpetualstudent wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 5:59pm:
I lean towards Masi here. No, probably won't kill a full grown adult. Now. 10-13 year old boys? A couple of dares, a bite, and by the time adults get on the scene the ribs and internal organs crushed.

I know they have a hunting season in FL for the Constrictors that are taking over the everglades.

yea, its also legal to shoot wild pigs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris)