Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Holy cow!!! RatMan was right!!! (Read 4627 times)
TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Re: Holy cow!!! RatMan was right!!!
Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 12:47am

this is the first ive heard of large anacondas and constrictors in the US. Did some dummy with a pet anaconda let it loose or something?

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

Thunder Chief
Funditor

Don't Panic!

Reply #16 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:32am

I seem to be a little behind here. Ratman, you're claiming to have seen a sixteen foot rattler?

We Few, We Happy Few, We Band of Slingers!

Longbowmen draw to the ear!

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #17 - Aug 7th, 2014 at 9:18pm

There is a North American native that would sort out the snakes it was considered so dangerous most states had a bounty on it.
It was a fish. The alligator garfish, it got huge and could kill a man easy, would eat anything and had a widespread range,if it ate all the baby constrictors and you hunted the adult snakes i would imagine your snake problem might go away.no snakes in New zealand.. yet

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #18 - Aug 9th, 2014 at 4:12pm

Yes, TC, I've seen it on four different occasions.  My father, wife, and daughter have also seen it and not just a quick glance.  Dad, daughter Kate, and I watched on swim across the Mullica River at Beaver Dam Pond.  It took several minutes for it to make the swim which ended just a handful of yards from us where it slithered into the weeds.  On that occasion we saw it clearly, for a long time, and close up. My wife and I saw it at Batsto Lake. She got an excellent, close up view.  It crawled into her shays lounge while she was sleeping in the sun... while she was 8 1/2 months pregnant with Kate!  Wife Marie and I also saw it at Karanza Memorial and again near Batsto Lake. 
     Here's the poop:  It is very large, has light, almost white colored skin with large black spots on it.  It is absolutely a rattler and it apparently loves water.  We've seen it in the Jersey Pines in four different locations.  I realize what this sounds like but we saw what we saw.  I don't expect most people to believe me but those who know me well do.  Have your laugh.  I don't care.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - Aug 9th, 2014 at 4:21pm

For some reason I have no modify button in this Firefox browser and Google Chrome is jammed up right now.  I just want to add that a sixteen foot anaconda isn't fully grown.  He's only about half grown and consequently hasn't reached near his full weight yet.  Consequently, a sixteen foot anaconda isn't as dangerous as most would imagine.  Anyone reading this could easily, with a little know how, pick one up and control it.  There is no reason to kill such an animal.  A thirty footer, maybe.. a sixteen footer.. no way.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 12:59am

Rat man, it could be a "window faller"   
Jersey pines? if thats where i think it is it has a history of "odd events"
Anacondas will not have rattles and do get bigger than 16 feet, easy.
And i'm not laughing mate, reality is flexible.
Einstein said that reality is an illusion,all be it a very persistant one. Cool

"Do what thou will"Shall be the whole of the law."love is the law, love under will"

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 6:46am

Late to the thread..... I say find it and kill it.
When I was about 5 years old living in Colombia there was a similar situation. A constrictor snake(boa or anaconda I don't remember), had escaped from the zoo and his in a public pond.
A child I knew ended up playing in the pond unaware the snake was in it and he got eaten. They never found him for some time later and I still remember the newspaper picture with the dead snake stretched out and a big lump where the kid was inside.
Kill it, it's a large powerful animal in a human environment.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 3:02pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Ajax.  I was making two different points here about two different snakes.  And yes, the Jersey Pines can be a very strange place.  As far as my giant Pine rattler being a window faller, I don't think so because there's no such animal known to science anywhere on earth. I've checked.  I'm pretty sure it's an as of yet undiscovered (except by my family and I and possibly a few others) species of rattlesnake.  I talked about the giant rattler with daughter Kate just last night.  She clearly remembers seeing it both times and her description is, of course, identical to mine.
   As far as the anaconda loose in New Jersey, I'll stand by my statement.  In that I owned two very large snakes for over two decades and handled them both every day I feel that I'm very qualified.  A sixteen foot anaconda is only a juvenile.  It hasn't come anywhere near reaching its full weight or power.  Killing it is paranoid an completely unnecessary.  Should it be captured... sure, but not because it poses any threat.  I'd like to see it captured because it'll die come autumn.  New Jersey is way too cold for such a creature.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 4:20pm

Rat Man, I honestly don't think your experience with Burmese Pythons translates here. Adult anacondas are usually 15-16 ft with 22 ft at the extreme and they're almost twice the weight of a python that's the same length. The anaconda actually ties with the Komodo dragon for heaviest squamate.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #24 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 7:31pm

Rat man,If you say you saw a sixteen foot rattler i have no reason to disbelieve you, the fact that others have seen it and on more than one occasion for minutes at a time says to me that you did see something,window faller in this context is ment as someone or something that may have fallen/passed through a "window" from another reality.
Jersey Pines is known to have a "soft" reality.
Before people jump all over me for that little tidbit  i ask you all to suspend your disbelief untill all the facts are in.We are exploring quantum physics and experimenting with fourth dimension computers, reality is a matter of opinion at this point. Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 9:07pm

Rat Man, I want to appologise to you if I gave the impression that I didn't believe your story about the 16ft rattler. I think you are a totally reliable witness. I have no doubt the Pine Barrens could be harboring a very large rattler (maybe more than one), and I agree with you that killing the anaconda would be a terrible shame. They are beautiful snakes and deserve the right to live, just maybe in a more appropriate area.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2014 at 9:59pm

ya know, a 16 foot rattler skin would look pretty dang cool on a bow....
Tongue
joking, of course.

Really, how hard can it be to find and relocate/kill a 16 foot snake?

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #27 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 11:24am

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys.  It's nice to be believed when you're telling the truth, especially when your tale is way out of the ordinary.  Both Dad an Marie have passed so Kate is my only remaining living witness. She's seen it twice. 
    Mas, my experience is with Pythons and Boas so you may have a point.  A sixteen foot anaconda might be heavier than I'm imagining.  They do grow up to 29" BTW.  I'd still rather see it captured than killed.  It's a moot point though.  In  a month or so the snake will be dead anyway. An anaconda is tropical and New Jersey isn't. 
    Imagine the surprise if an unsuspecting fisherman hooked the anaconda.  He' be telling stories about the big one that got away forever.
   Sorry I didn't grasp the meaning of your window faller, Ajax.  Obviously I thought that you meant an escaped pet.  I've spent countless hours in the Jersey Pines since I was a baby.  Though I've never heard it described that way before, I'd say it absolutely has a soft reality.  I don't know if you've ever been there but you can feel it.  The place has vibes like no other.  Night time is the best.  You could be a million years in the past.

IP Logged

Ajax

You reap what you sow

Reply #28 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 6:04pm

Rat man, No i have never been to the pines,but we have "soft areas" as well, i agree that it should not be killed outright, that some solution can be met as long as the animal is not an imediate threat, thats if is not a window faller and you can catch it! Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #29 - Aug 12th, 2014 at 6:29pm

Speaking along those lines certain Native American tribes believe Sasquatch are capable of traveling between dimensions. Not sure what to make of that but the soft reality statements reminded me of it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)