Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Spear knife
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 10:17pm

timpa wrote on Jul 17th, 2014 at 9:41pm:
Spear knife gives more punch power:

Try a sword.  Even the cheapest sword would be better than that.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2014 at 10:47pm

Oxnate wrote on Jul 17th, 2014 at 10:17pm:
timpa wrote on Jul 17th, 2014 at 9:41pm:
Spear knife gives more punch power:

Try a sword.  Even the cheapest sword would be better than that.

No, it probably wouldn't.
That is a pretty nice kitchen knife, and it is extremely sharp. my Morakniv can do nearly everything he posted. Because it is honed to a mirror polish and can shave my slowly accumulating mustache.
Not because it is a thin blade, the Mora is actually pretty dang thick.

Also note that a sword is sharp along its entire length, rather heavy, and is more balanced.
Another thing that adds to hitting power is that you have most of the weight on the end of the "stick", therefore moving the fastest.
And on top of all that I can make a passable spearhead capable of deer-killing in under 10 mins using only metal tubing, a vice, smithy hammer, drill bit, piece of RR track, some copper rod, and some old lawnmower blade.
To make a sword, I need some pretty good steel, in bar form, a full-service forge, a quench bucket, some wood for handles, crossguard, drills, files, a grinder, and a LOT of skill.
Skill I don't have...
Plus those $30 "tactical ninja swords" from Amazon are garbage. They won't even slice soda cans in half, after sharpening, and  they are so flexible that they have an annoying habit of whipping back around(literally bending 90+ degrees) and stabbing you rather deeply in the thigh. Speaking from experience. Not to mention they are of 440A stainless, which virtually doesn't hold an edge(it is actually worse than mild steel IMHO), and they have a WELD where the crossguard should go. They break if you even swing them hard. Which is why I had to get 5 stitches in my leg.

So no, the cheapest sword is not better.
I'd take one of Timpa's weapons over a cheap sword any day.
Plus a roman gladius beats many refined swords because it is dirt cheap.
and easy to make.

EDIT: reread this... it sounds like I am pissed. I'm not. Just trying to prove a point....(unintended pun)

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 6:25pm

Of course, the sword is always the sword. But this is the sword and the knife halfway.
SmileySquirrelislinger tell the right points about.
Spear knife is tip heavy.
low cost,
easy to manufacture,
easy to sharpen
the blades can be varied,
length can be variable,

To the extent that I would change, that I would put a little bit thicker of a spring steel shaft.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2014 at 9:09pm

This looks like a fun project Timpa. It is what it is, no apologies.  And it looks like it works great.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2014 at 6:09pm

Thanks!
Yep. I'm not selling this to the army. It's a fun experiment. Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)