Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Derusting a knife (Read 4291 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Derusting a knife
Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:22am

So I found a Pakistani made bowie knife at a garage sale. It was covered in rust but was 1 dollar so I picked it up. It actually looks identical to this: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread762266/pg1

so far I've just taken a wire brush and some 0000 steel wool to it. I've got one side smooth but still shows what looks like early oxidation (darker and duller splotches).

Looking online I found a lot of criticism of these knives. And it actually took me to here where Bill Skinner mentioned they make good throwing knives.

This is my first "restoration" so I was wondering how far I should take it. Keep scrubbing until it's all shiny?  I was also wondering whether it just a display knife or if it would make a good tool that can safely be used? How can you tell? Or should I just take up Bill's advice and take up knife throwing like I've been meaning to?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: Derusting a knife
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:51am

The best way I know to test it is to sharpen it and use it. If it won't sharpen or it won't stay sharp then it's not a user. I enjoy fixing things, so I'd keep working on it.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:34pm

the best way I know of making it nice and shiny agian:
Oxalic acid or phosphoric acid overnight then wirebrush, then buff it.
Another way: vinegar.
It removes the rust- but it will be a dark, dull grey.
wirebrush and buff.
it can take several days, with vineger changes every 12 hours, before the rust is gone.
oxalic acid makes it nice and shiny quite rapidly.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:34pm

I recall that those Pakistani-made Bowies were favored for throwing knives... Strip the furniture off and you're good to go.

The steel is soft enough to bend, and you can just hammer 'em back into shape.
I generally use my Dremel and a wire brush head to de-rust bike parts, but to remove the discoloration you'd need a bit more work... Cut down to the bare metal and then re-polish.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:37pm

I probably ought to add:
Oxalic acid is by far the best.
10% solution, soak overnight.
Then dry WELL, brush, buff, and wash once with acetone and once with mineral spirits. then oil.
Else it WILL rust.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 5:19pm

I've got all the rust off now. Trying to decide whether or not to take the patina off. I'm confident the rust is all off.

I think I'll take Masi's advice on putting a new edge on it and try it out. If it's too soft to hold the edge well I'll see about starting to throw it. Sounds like fun. It's heavy enough that it should make a satisfying THUNK  Grin

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

johnny108
Descens

Germany
Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2014 at 3:27pm

I've always found using electricity works best, without changing the finish of the metal.
Google "electric rust removal"- you'll find an instructional file/video that you like.

IP Logged

Mangudai
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:05pm

I agree with johnny108.  Electrolysis can make all the rust fall right off.  There are fairly simple ways to do it, so just use google. 

However, the knives I've seen made in Pakistan were all crap.  So if it were me I would throw it and abuse it and not worry.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 7:11am

A budget way of removing rust was to soak it in Coke. It really works, but it does darken the blade. Think what that stuff does to our insides.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Banzai

Nicaragua
Reply #9 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 2:37pm

Take up knife throwing man!  I just recently got into all that, and oh boy, there is nothing like sticking a knife in some wood from 20 ft!

1 Samuel 17:50

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark)