Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tonfa (Read 3983 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Tonfa
Jul 2nd, 2014 at 4:25pm

Anyone here knows how to handle/fight with a tonfa? I got me an Eurotonfa - type TR-24/59. I always wanted to have one, it seems like a perfect weapon to have near your bed. I've already learned some tricks with it. I think it's my new favourite martial art weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e5Uh4Y4HTc

I love its simplicity. Just like a sling. It's a shame I am not allowed to carry it on the streets.  Cheesy

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Tonfa
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 5:24pm

these look like they would be really good weapons too-
http://www.martialartsmart.com/17-31.html
I might forge one...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:48pm

SquirrelS - post some pictures with your new camera phone if you do.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:09pm

If I can figure out how to get the pictures from phone to computer I will be posting the Leather covered balaric tutorial.
If I do forge one I will find some way of pictures- might use a webcam.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 6:45am

okay a nightstick.

Guess they could be fun Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:28am

I messed around with them a bit a couple years ago. However, it was mostly just a phase I went though. There are plenty of instructional videos out there if you are interested. I believe it IS definitely cooler than a regular Kali stick and the style of use is different, however in the end it is just a BFT weapon. It is neat to see guys that really know what they are doing with them. I think the one hand approach (like what they guy in the video or police would do) is a little more practical so you can use the other hand for empty hand strikes, grabbing, drawing a firearm, etc.

Any kind of laws or legislation against it are moronic. It is essentially just a stick and only does as much damage as a baseball bat, hammer, 2x4, or a heavy branch. They should start banning trees too because they can be a source of such violent weapons.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, unfortunately you still have to follow them even if there is no logic behind them, make sure you know the laws well so you can pursue your interest in primitive weapons as fervently as possible without breaking the law.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:19am

The extent of my knowledge on tonfas (which is considerable) was gained as a young boy playing Double Dragon.  They were excellent weapons against Abobo so I don't see why they wouldn't work well in real life.

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:10am

What's a BFT weapon?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 5:53pm

Dan wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:28am:
Any kind of laws or legislation against it are moronic. It is essentially just a stick and only does as much damage as a baseball bat, hammer, 2x4, or a heavy branch. They should start banning trees too because they can be a source of such violent weapons.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, unfortunately you still have to follow them even if there is no logic behind them, make sure you know the laws well so you can pursue your interest in primitive weapons as fervently as possible without breaking the law.

ya know, many people don't consider wooden bows effective weapons.... even though they come from trees.
also I dislike laws regarding such things- they are not exactly effective as far as shootings go- note more gun laws make it easier for the shooter- no armed opposition until cops get there.
that is as far as I will go.

I took an old knife(that I didn't like) that I made from a file that wound up a bit on the soft side. it didn't hold an edge too well. about 12" overall length, with about 7 1/2 inches of blade. roughly 30 degree edge angle with a rather pointy end.

so I drilled two holes about where the guard would be, and mounted it on a stick. it looks downright evil and is amazingly good at penetrating thin steel or wood...
I imagine it would be an extremely effective weapon.
It will most likely be my anti-zombie weapon...

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:46pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 11:09pm:
If I can figure out how to get the pictures from phone to computer I will be posting the Leather covered balaric tutorial.
If I do forge one I will find some way of pictures- might use a webcam.

Odd you can't figure out how to get pictures from your phone to your computer to show your work. I mean, according to your posts you're like a master bowyer, blacksmith, weaver and craftsman extraordinaire. Transfering pictudres should almost be a no-brainer.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 12:09am

yea.
but try to connect a android that is one of the very first generation to a fully updated Ubuntu laptop. Surprisingly hard, as there is no support whatsoever AND they use different filesystems.
On top of that, the phone doesn't have internet and the wifi has been broken(it is my dad's old phone), and I don't have the data transfer cable, only an HDMI cable for it(that does charge it).
I have other pictures too that are pretty important that need to be uploaded and emailed to people Pikaru, and I don't think I have claimed ANY of those "crowns" you mentioned.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 11:24am

I think it was the movie "Black Dalia" that had a wonderfully choreographed use of this weapon. I had never understood why so many police batons had the sidehandle until I saw that. I was impressed. By my thought then, as now, is that you'd have to invest a serious amount of time to use it to its potential. And in the hands of most people (cops included) a simple straight stick will be equally effective and easier to carry. Especially with collapsible batons that cops seem to carry these days.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 8:39pm

For a while, they were very popular in police work.  They didn't call them "tonfa", of course.... Scary martial arts weapons and all.... Instead, "side-handle baton".

There were whole systems developed around the things...Involving complicated locks and such that looked great on paper but no one seemed to be able to do on the street.
They were a royal PITA to carry....
Long since displaced by the modern collapsible baton.

I recall an episode of "T J Hooker" (may have been the only one I ever watched... Dreadful show) where old Bill went up against a guy with a knife using his baton.... While a bunch of his fellow officers looked on.
Maybe one of the silliest scenes ever shot.....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Rat Man)