Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The notches at the base of a Kurkri's blade (Read 5457 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
The notches at the base of a Kurkri's blade
Jun 16th, 2014 at 4:10pm

Just watched a short but interesting program about the gurkhas.

And according to one of the gurkha sergeants, the notches purpose is to divert blood from running down the blade and onto the handle.

Basically stops your grip getting slippy when you're in the midst of battle.

Clever Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Re: The notches at the base of a Kurkri's blade
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2014 at 6:18pm

It's in the same vein as calling a knife's fuller a "blood groove." As propaganda it's wicked, but I doubt its practicality. The notch is a symbol of Shiva the Destroyer, a cow's hoof. It's part blessing, part warning. There are people who grind away that mark to remove any associations between the kukri and a religion other than their own. It seems that some people view the "blessing" as a curse if the Kukri's owner isn't Hindi.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 6:46am

well I'm going by what a long serving gurkha nco said Smiley

If he doesn't know - no one does.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:48am

There are so many rumors and legends about that... I heard one to the effect that the original ones had the little "spike" in the middle quite sharp, and it was to prick your finger.....
the old bit where the blade could not be drawn without drawing blood....
From the Wiki:
"Kukri blades usually have a notch (kauda, kaudi, kaura, or cho) at the base of the blade. Various reasons are given for this, both practical and ceremonial: that it makes blood and sap drop off the blade rather than running onto the handle;[5] that it delineates the end of the blade whilst sharpening; that it is a symbol representing a cows' foot, or Shiva. The notch may also represent the teats of a cow, a reminder that the kukri should not be used to kill a cow, an animal revered and worshipped by Hindus."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2014 at 10:53am

Or, it could be all of those.

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 2:12am

As Bill says, could be all of the above. There is also the possibility that it stops the hand sliding up the blade, rather than just off the handle. The angle in the blade, size, degree of curve and hilt furniture show a huge range in form so it seems finding a 'standard' kukri is near impossible. In antique kukris the end of the knife handle can be fluted to prevent the hand from sliding off the end anyway. And blood is sticky not slippery.
A bit of silliness:
http://youtu.be/LieUYkBOi9g
Also of interest and more pertinent to the original question:
http://youtu.be/jPSjdj82KLM
http://youtu.be/pXpthLnp_wM

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 11:05am

yes lots of rumours and legends, all spread by people other than the gurkha's themsleves.

BUT what the gurkha's say is it's to stop blood getting on the handle.

The whole must draw blood thing is nonsense, it could be a religious symbol as well - but primarily it's practical.

IP Logged

snowcelt
Tiro

So far....so good!

Turku, SW Finland.
Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 2:04pm

I would be wary of absolutes. How many Gurkhas claimed this to be true in the programme you saw. Can one/two speak for the entire history of use of this knife? Could it be they believe their own hype? Also, Gurkhas are not the only ones to use a kukri, they have been used across a wide region. A fluted hilt will stop the hand sliding off the handle. If it was really such a problem, they would have come up with a practical solution like a small lanyard tied to the wrist as is found in parang knives.
Then again, maybe you are right. Who knows?

Laimh laidir in uachtar- Family motto.&&Ni bheidh mo leitheid aris ann.&&Who said that basic means simple? Time spent training the basics is never wasted time.
IP Logged

Bikewer
Interfector Viris Spurii

I love Slinging.org!

St. Louis, Mo
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 4:28pm

Mists of history and all... Are you familiar with the bunch of myths and legends that surround another famous ethnic blade, the Kris?
Thing was supposed to rattle in it's sheath to warn the owner of danger, and in some cases, leap out and defend the owner all on it's own!
In addition, the exact number of "waves" in the blade is highly significant, with purchasers going by their mystical or "lucky" numbers.
Finally, legends have it that one could stroke the blade, and have water or milk flow from same.
(Handy for feeding the cat, I suppose...)

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2014 at 9:04pm

In cutting with a Kukri a cut is usually made using a draw stroke rather than a stab. This type of cut would also help prevent the hand slipping onto the blade. It tis the type of cut most preferred by the Gurkhas as far as I know.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #10 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 1:06pm

As often as not things like this had a practical purpose to begin with and then get the religious/mystical traditions added later.  Sometimes the cultures originating them lose the original understanding for why something was done a certain way and add on the alternate interpretations later. 

That being said it could very well be both practical and religious.

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 2:38pm

I am a huge fan of the kukri blade design. As far as large knife blade styles go, I believe it to be the best. I also respect the warrior culture that the ghurkas have developed as well, it is admirable to say the least, and fascinating to study.

Anyway, back to big knives. I personally, prefer just a slight hilt to protect my hand or stop it from sliding onto the blade. That is one of the reasons I got the Ontario Kukri. Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely take a KHHI Kukri in a fight given the opportunity over a lot of blades, but a small hilt goes a long way in ensuring your nick name won't be "Stubs" for the remainder of your life.

"Blood grooves" or fullers actually aren't unique to the kukri, indeed, they can be found in many different styles of blades, especially bayonets from the 19th and early 20th century.

I would life to see a video to see how well it really works with pre-drained blood, water, or oil or something, just to see if it stands up to the test.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2014 at 8:29pm

That notch is really just a bottle opener Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2014 at 10:35am

if you make a knife from a file, and do it right, your hand will NEVER slide onto the blade despite there being no guard or hilt of any sort.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2014 at 5:30pm

I had a Gurkha Color Sgt tell me it symbolized the Goddess's yani.  I wasn't going to add that one.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)