Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi From Long Taxed Island NY,burb to NYC the source of Milk and Honey (Read 1591 times)
Sparkie
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New York
Hi From Long Taxed Island NY,burb to NYC the source of Milk and Honey
Apr 22nd, 2014 at 7:29am

Hi all,

I am on Long Island in NY, (near NYC). I am a newbie w/o a sling even, but I can't see them taking that long to make. I have tons of leather so pouch is easy and I really don't need an extra pair of shoes, so the thongs are a cinch.... I would like to meet up with any local slingers.

Does anyone know of any local slinger groups here on LI NY? Descriptions of how to are great or video's better, but having someone brave enough to watch closely (as they dare) as you practice is better.

thanks

sparkie

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Hi From Long Taxed Island NY,burb to NYC the source of Milk and Honey
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 9:47am

Hello from Alabama.  Finding slingers is difficult.  My advice to pretty near all beginners is to start with tennis balls.  They have a good weight, don't go too far and aren't fatal if you hit something you don't want to hit.

David Morningstar has a lot of videos on YouTube, as do several other slingers, but David has a lot in slow motion, which lets you really see what he is doing.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 10:31am

Hello from Nova Scotia!
Ya Bill is right, slingers are few and far between but this site has lots of info to help you out:)
Check the FAQ thread

IP Logged

Sparkie
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New York
Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 4:40pm

Hi Bill and Tom,

If I can figure out how to make you tube work again I will view them. Tennis balls can be gotten for free. Dead ones are fine, they don't bounce and roll off as easily. When you learn to flip food in a saute pan, you use rice not peas, so when they hit the floor they clean up easily, for jugglers it is square sand bags, same reason.

I had the same thought, not a death punch and not heavy enough to go far or to bounce, when dead, kinda like a whiffle ball, but heavier. If you want them to be really dead, punch a hole in them.

Which plans for slings are best for tennis balls? Like my wood carving tools this is a subjective thing, but perhaps there is a consensus on them? From the little I gleaned so far an Apache sling, (I have no clue what that is), is a good candidate. I will search for it.

I cannibalized a leather sofa and have enough leather to make various pouches, and I went out and bought 1 roll of ghastly pink string for weaving. I must hit a big box store for other colors. But simply using cotton/poly cloths line is just as good for newbies like my kid and I. I can make a few lengths to try out.

My son wants to make one to take to scout camp. He said Sunday is a day he can go to one end of the lake and put out floating targets and lob them out there. I think intact tennis balls would be good there are they will stand out in color and float.

ciao fer now

sparkie

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 11:49am

Welcome!
You almost any style of sling to throw tennis balls, just make the pouch a little longer to accommodate the large size of tennis balls. Instead of your normal 4" pouch that'd you might use for rocks, make your pouch 5-6" long and a couple inches wide.

You can use shorter or narrower pouches but that'll require some cupping and if your technique is a bit jerky to start off, you'll probably have some slip out.

Youtube is a huge aid in learning how to sling, just google "slinging" or "slinging styles" and you'll get a ton of results. We'll do our best to help you here too if you have any questions.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Sparkie
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New York
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 6:29pm

Thanks all,

I have lots of leather so experimental slings are not expensive, unless you weave them. I found the tut tutirial, looks rather nifty, those are what I would like to make, but time will tell.

ciao

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2014 at 6:24am

check out the leather pouch thread - nobody else mentions it because they all like braided slings - I don't (like braided slings for slinging, that is)  Smiley

Leather pouch thread

The butterfly pouch is one of the best beginner pouches around. It will easily take a tennis ball.
I've recently updated and cleaned up the cap paul template, just haven't got round to uploading yet. Plus for that you need rivets Smiley 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - May 25th, 2014 at 11:33am

Sparkie wrote on Apr 22nd, 2014 at 4:40pm:
Hi Bill and Tom,

If I can figure out how to make you tube work again I will view them. Tennis balls can be gotten for free. Dead ones are fine, they don't bounce and roll off as easily.

I had the same thought, not a death punch and not heavy enough to go far or to bounce, when dead, kinda like a whiffle ball, but heavier. If you want them to be really dead, punch a hole in them.

Which plans for slings are best for tennis balls? Like my wood carving tools this is a subjective thing, but perhaps there is a consensus on them? From the little I gleaned so far an Apache sling, (I have no clue what that is), is a good candidate. I will search for it.

I cannibalized a leather sofa and have enough leather to make various pouches, and I went out and bought 1 roll of ghastly pink string for weaving. I must hit a big box store for other colors. But simply using cotton/poly cloths line is just as good for newbies like my kid and I. I can make a few lengths to try out.

My son wants to make one to take to scout camp. He said Sunday is a day he can go to one end of the lake and put out floating targets and lob them out there. I think intact tennis balls would be good there are they will stand out in color and float.

ciao fer now

sparkie

try using a different browser for youtube. I use Chromium(sorta like chrome) or Iron(another chrome-like broswer) most of the time because it is extremely fast and responsive. When I have to deal with youtube on Chromium, I use iron or firefox because chromium doesn't work well with youtube for some reason or another.

Leather pouch slings are great, but I still like apache type slings.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Rat Man)