Send Topic Print
A Threat (Read 1468 times)
Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
A Threat
Apr 16th, 2014 at 1:42am

One month ago a message was found inside a bathroom stall on my university campus.

"TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
ON April 16th 2014 I WILL UNLEASH A RAMPAGE OF
BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS ACROSS THIS TINY CAMPUS... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!"

One week ago it was painted over.

One day ago it showed back up halfway across campus.

Near midnight I was alerted by the university that the threat could not be substantiated, that there was an increased police presence on campus, and that classes would not be cancelled.

April 16th is the anniversary or the Virginia Tech massacre.

I think it was a bad call. What do you think?

(I've decided not to let an act of terror change my daily habits. When it does, they terrorizers win. I'll be in class tomorrow, just like always. It also doesn't seem fair to skip when the professors are forced to stay.)

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: A Threat
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:29am

I would think long and hard about going to class. I'd probably make the decision based on whether my classes have acceptable escape routes.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:54am

In the end, life is a collection of assumed risks. On the anniversary of any attack there will be the potential for a copy cat, a political statement, or just a practical joker. I'm not happy about going to class after a threat has been made, but I will not skip when others can't. I don't know if I'd be any help or a liability in a crisis and I don't want to find out, but I can't just choose not to go and still feel good about myself. It's a nonissue, however. The university finally made what I think was the right call by cancelling class this morning at 7:15. (After the earliest classes bad already started.)

Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Wizard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 7:49pm

If, when, someone commits a horrendous act - terrorism - the wrong decision is made by that individual or group.  For the rest of us, the "right" decision is to follow our own senses and personal philosophy on how to respond to a threat.  Of course, in this case, the university (chancellor and board of governors) had to make a decision for the university as an entity.  I'm glad to not have been in their shoes.  No matter which decision they made, many will disagree and pronounce it "wrong".  There is no right or wrong ... in my opinion.

I agree with you in that I am loathe to change my lifestyle and daily habits due to criminal threats or terrorism.  Yep, that's what the scumbags want, and that's how they win.
If it were me, I'd go to school and be on high alert.  If it were my kids' university, I'd let them know that Dad is "ok" if they decide to take the day off.  Two different philosophies ... one for me, and another for those I love.  Incongruent, perhaps, but I'm sticking by it.

PS: I really hope they catch the person who wrote those messages.  Intense and unrelenting public humiliation might send a message to others that this is not the way to become a hero.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:25pm

I watched this on the news this evening. 

The campus is deserted.

Don't you have finals next week?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:30pm

I think making threats such as that are one of the most cowardly acts possible. The only thing I can suggest to you is to ramp up your situational awareness. Listen to your "Spidey" sense. Stay out or go in, which ever feels right.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 9:42pm

Finals are the week after next for us, but this is the busiest part of the semester.

I try to be as aware as possible, bk. There's always room for improvement, but I'm already working on it.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 11:20pm

bigkahuna wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 8:30pm:
I think making threats such as that are one of the most cowardly acts possible. The only thing I can suggest to you is to ramp up your situational awareness. Listen to your "Spidey" sense. Stay out or go in, which ever feels right.

+1

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
Forum Moderation

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2014 at 10:23am

Wizard wrote on Apr 16th, 2014 at 7:49pm:
I agree with you in that I am loathe to change my lifestyle and daily habits due to criminal threats or terrorism.  Yep, that's what the scumbags want, and that's how they win.
If it were me, I'd go to school and be on high alert.  If it were my kids' university, I'd let them know that Dad is "ok" if they decide to take the day off.  Two different philosophies ... one for me, and another for those I love.  Incongruent, perhaps, but I'm sticking by it.

I missed this somehow. You and I think the same way, I think.

WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 4:11pm

Hm..Not sure,if i get the real picture, but attacks like that,happen much more on a instant. When the guy gets all dizzy,and takes his guns and rushes in. Not very planned, or especially not announced with a date,which very well, might hinder his attempt a failure (from his point of view.)

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)