Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
rubber rocks (Read 3057 times)
Pkald
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

rubber rocks
Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:04pm

Do any of you guys have experience with making rubber balls that is heavy enough for slinging  but safe for LARPing?

LARP= Live Action RolePlay. A kind of fantasy game where you dress up as a knight and fight with latexswords

(Also, I am new on this forum so:Hello everybody)

IP Logged

Arcane Tinker
Funditor

Slinging everything 'cept
b.s.

Western Wisconsin
Re: rubber rocks
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:12pm

Raquette balls are about as close as you can get without really hurting someone..IMHO. They also have the advantage of being relatively recognizable as a safe projectile. Yes, they aren't exactly authentically colored, but you won't get tackled for fear of being a maniac.

Safety officers and lawyers, two paying professions until the internet came along...
Arcane Tinker  
IP Logged

Coordinatic
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Samuilovo, Sliven, Bulgaria
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:48pm

I guess the way to see if it is safe enough is by asking someone to throw the rubber ball at you full strength from a few metres away. See if it hurts even a bit, because the sling's power would amplify the pain from a bit to a lot.

IP Logged

Pkald
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:55pm

Do you have any e periences crafting nonlethal amunition?

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 4:19pm

Just use tennis balls dude. They won't maim but they will sting a lot. Also welcome aboard:)

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 10:16pm

Pkald wrote on Apr 15th, 2014 at 2:04pm:
Do any of you guys have experience with making rubber balls that is heavy enough for slinging  but safe for LARPing?

LARP= Live Action RolePlay. A kind of fantasy game where you dress up as a knight and fight with latexswords

(Also, I am new on this forum so:Hello everybody)

I think a solid or even a thin walled ball could really hurt somebody at the velocities we sling at.
LARP... why not go with wooden weapons? so much more fun...
Tennis balls... +1

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 4:04am

+1 tennis balls

Baloons filled with flour.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 6:36am

In the SCA, the Kingdom of Meridies recognizes combat slinging. They take the approach of using a sling staff. Basically, they use a lacrosse stick with a tennis ball as ammo. However, the ball has to have a slit cut into it, so that if someone steps on it,it collapses.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 12:39pm

There you go. As the others said, tennis balls reign supreme, cut a slit in them if you don't want anyone to roll their ankle on them. Racket balls could work too but they don't weigh as much so they won't have as much impact or the same range. If you want your tennis balls to look more traditional, spend $5 and get some grey and brown spray paint to make them look more rock like.

It WILL hurt getting hit by one, but it shouldn't be any worse than getting hit really hard by a foam sword.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2014 at 6:17pm

This has been discussed a lot of Finnish boffing forum. It seems to be difficult to implement. (Requirements: fly far and straight, but not hurt.)

IP Logged

Sparkie
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New York
Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 6:22pm

Balloons filled with flour sounds painful. As kids on holloween we wacked each other with chalk dust socks, they could hurt. Tossed by a sling would be much worse. They skin will pop, but it hits as a solid, then it disintigrates. Paint balls sting to hurt, but they have little density. It is the reason no matter how friends try to encouage me I, don't paint ball.

Since I will never try it, I could be very wrong. I just rember my chalk sock days. A small sting then, but my bb really wound up, it hurt enough!

ciao

IP Logged

algorias
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 2:58pm

Balloons filled with water. Fill one balloon with just a little water (so that it's full but doesn't stretch), cut the neck off 3-5 more balloons, then put them over the first one in layers (with the opening facing front and back alternatingly). This yields a very bouncy egg-sized spheroid projectile that weighs about 50 grams. I would rather get hit by 10 of those than a single tennis ball.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2014 at 6:52pm

still sounds rather painful.
Here is (IMO) the main problem with slings and hitting people-
you are sending a projectile at low-airsoft velocites.
It weighs several hundred times as much.
Therefore several hundred times the energy
therefore quite a bit more damage.
It is rather diffucult to hit people with such a thing without causing any marks or damage.
it is much easier to just accept some bruising.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 12:27am

Anything,that doesn't decelerate at 10-20m,will hurt.
And if it does, it's not viable ammo imo.
The slinger can vary his power in his shots.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 26th, 2014 at 1:05pm

still, a sling has a LOT of power.
a light sling throw has the power of a baseball pitcher throwing hard.
a hard sling throw...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)