Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What skills should every child be taught? (Read 7290 times)
hassan
Descens

On the path of the Benjamites

Texas, USA
Re: What skills should every child be taught?
Reply #30 - Apr 14th, 2014 at 1:40am

If google becomes self aware we all need to know how to produce extreme EMPs to knock it out forever

I really need to buy more paracord.&&And practice more.&&And braid more . . . &&

IP Logged

Themistocles
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Boise, ID
Reply #31 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 2:27pm

cooking
how to fix things
how to learn - self starters
how to treat people and get along
self dicipline
how to organize and prioritize

F=ma

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #32 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 10:42pm

I can't believe I almost forgot:

Swimming.

Seriously- drowning is one of the biggest causes of death for kids in the US. Teach them to swim, as early as possible.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

slyserpico

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #33 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:05am

First and foremost I think children need to learn kindness, compassion, acceptance, giving, sharing, appreciation, gratitude and to follow their own heart above all other voices. My daughter is 20 months old and she already knows how to take 3 deep breaths to calm down... I will teach her to meditate in time, but now we just sit outside at sunset. I will teach her principles of morals and ethics. Too many other things to list, but everyday I strive to be a better person in order to set a good example.

IP Logged

Wizard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #34 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 12:13pm

In addition to many things already listed ...

Get them a passport as soon as possible.  Use it.  Take them places.  Show them that there are many people and many cultures in this world.  Teach them that the rest of the world does not necessarily resemble their backyard or neighborhood; nor, should it.  Teach them that it is ok to learn from others, that one can find "good" anywhere, as long as you look for it.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #35 - Apr 22nd, 2014 at 4:05pm

Also, related to cultures- make sure they know many different people of many religion/ethnicity/etc as possible. It helps keep them from making prejudices. I grew up in a fairly diverse neighborhood. I don't have much prejudice towards or against any race/religion.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #36 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 6:34am

Respect for property, objects, etc. I can't tell you how many times I see kids at the museum I'm at pounding on displays. The worst part is the parents are right there.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #37 - Apr 23rd, 2014 at 10:02pm

How... slingbadger... just how... is it that bad...
good lord.
teenagers sometimes try to take my arrows but it doesn't work out too well for them. I get to practice my slinging on moving targets with water ballons filled with cheap tempra paint.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Sparkie
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New York
Reply #38 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 3:34pm

I must agree with all of it. I own no fire arms but when the opportunity arose I let both sexes blast away,(they were bored, kinda, although the scout kinda dug it).

Learning to do instantly what you tell them,(not stop to ask why), may save their lives. Believe me they will ignore you soon enough, but as another pointed out, as long as they know you are doing it for the right reasons, lt' work out in the end.

You can help that, by eventually explaining why you said STOP RIGHT NOW OR MOVE LEFT NOW.

This can stop a kid from say...stepping in front of a truck, falling tree, going over cliff.

Oh

a biggie, it never happened to me until my mom stepped in during a very nasty encounter where I was so over the top right, it could not be denied.

never forget, to say, "sorry son, you were right on that call". It is for that reason we do not speak, probly never will again. Iam talking about from 12 or 15 years and older.

And let them fail enough times to understand failure, even if their intentions are good and they think it should go their way.

The only thing worse than a sore loser is an obnoxious winner. Never laud over person if you win, even though they would do it to you.

On food, you control it.  Do not let a kid have soda, sugar candy, iced tea, coffee until they are 7-8 years old. If you do, your kids will have less depedence on it. My kids love chocolate, pie, fruits, and some pure sugar stuff.

but at dinner if one said "more spuds please", it had to come with more veggies, plain veggies. I let them control portins I control content. My kids love veggies and everything that tastes good. They are adults who will never be fat(like me), or at least it looks that way to me. But they also get real exercise,(steeple chase anyone?, sans ler horsie).

There is so much, I must stop.

oh I amost fergit, never say to youself..."I cant wait for this phase to be over, cuz when the phases are all done, you will be old" . I stopped sainy that phrase 10 years ago.

enjoy the ride

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #39 - May 13th, 2014 at 5:31pm

Congrats, ps.  That's wonderful.  Being Dad is by far the best thing I've ever done.  Here's my two cents;
    First and foremost, teach your child a love of books and reading.  NEVER be too busy to read to your kid when he/she asks and never use the DVD player as a substitute for reading time.  So many parents plop their kids down in front of the TV rather than spend time with them.  As ye sow....
    Another thing is manners. They're almost a lost art these days.  I find people looking at me funny because I am polite.  Your child will go much farther, much more easily in this world if he/she learns and uses proper manners. 
    Also, I'd stress the importance of proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.   Again, lost arts these days.  Many, myself included, judge a person's intelligence on how well he/she writes.  Things like using the word your instead of you're, there instead of they're, etc., etc. drive me insane.   
   One last thing.  Teach your child to love nature and respect every living thing.  For real. 
    My suggestions may seem old fashioned but learning these things will do your child no harm and may just open up some doors for him/her.
   I am very happy for you.  Having a child will change you and your wife in ways you can't even imagine.  Do you know if the little student will be a boy or girl?  If you don't yet know, do you have a preference? 

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #40 - May 14th, 2014 at 5:31pm

The little student is supposed to be a girl.

Which as soon as I found out my immediate thought was "I'm not working out hard enough. Also, I need a German Shepherd." Wink

Another thing I've found I want to teach my child is how to train and care for an animal. I love animals but I see such poor animal ownership in most Americans. A well trained dog makes for a happy dog and owner.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #41 - May 18th, 2014 at 1:12am

we are also a very wasteful society. Teach your kids how to reuse things. For one you can make some pretty dang cool stuff from melted down milk cartons.
also, teach your kids basic tool-work. Making their stuff, making parts to fix stuff instead of throwing it out, and how to dissassemble and put stuff back together. It also teaches anilytical thinking. (yes, that is spelled wrong).
Also, the most valuable thing you can give to someone is your attention. teach your kids that. I grew up without a cell phone. many of my friends have them, as do I. But I still would rather walk to their houses instead of calling them... because 1. I am naturally lazy, like all teenagers and 2. talking in person is more fun.

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #42 - May 18th, 2014 at 1:12pm

I heard about how some 45 states out of your 50 want to stop teaching handwriting in schools. So I will add this to the list ^^

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Mauro Fiorentini
Forum Moderation

Forge your future with
the hammer of your mind!

Ancona, Italy.
Reply #43 - May 18th, 2014 at 1:53pm

I'd teach my child how to handle a boat and I'd send him to the nautical high school.
Then he'd hopefully work at sea where he'd learn everything he needs - earning a good wage in the meantime.
Greetings,
Mauro.

Like! Smiley https://www.facebook.com/Arte-Picena-238289793027749/timeline/
Greetings,
Mauro.

Mauro Fiorentini - 339-525

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #44 - May 20th, 2014 at 4:51pm

perpetualstudent wrote on May 14th, 2014 at 5:31pm:
The little student is supposed to be a girl.

Which as soon as I found out my immediate thought was "I'm not working out hard enough. Also, I need a German Shepherd. Wink

Well, I also need to increase my long distance accuracy Tongue
Good thing I'm a slinger and not a wrestler, I'll have more time to start the car's engine after hitting Roll Eyes

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)