Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What would you miss in a re-ordered society? (Read 6651 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: What would you miss in a re-ordered society?
Reply #45 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 8:05pm

Massive, catastrophic economic collapse with all the consequences that it would entail. Possibly caused by the shift away from the petrodollar or something much more dramatic and sudden. Who knows?

Certainly in no more than 50 years and if I were a betting man much less than that.

As a spiritual fellow I would follow where I felt led. Might be foolish to some, so be it.

IP Logged

Wizard
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

North Carolina
Reply #46 - Apr 20th, 2014 at 11:44pm

Morphy wrote on Apr 20th, 2014 at 8:05pm:
Massive, catastrophic economic collapse with all the consequences that it would entail. Possibly caused by the shift away from the petrodollar or something much more dramatic and sudden. Who knows?

Certainly in no more than 50 years and if I were a betting man much less than that.

As a spiritual fellow I would follow where I felt led. Might be foolish to some, so be it.

Ok, fair enough.  Apologies if my question seemed confrontational, that was not my intention.  I was just interested in hearing more about your opinion on the future.

Having lived through a half century, I am resisting (mostly successfully, I believe) becoming an "old fart" ... you know the ol' "get off my lawn", "things were better in the old days", "when I was a kid we carved our own bicycles from trees we cut down with stone axes" ... that sort of thing.  Wink

Because it's largely out of my individual control, I've chosen to be optimistic about the future.  One chooses to be optimistic, pessimistic, or indecisive.  However, I do often wonder how much farther we will, or can, go when even the "poor folks" have air conditioning, cable TV, and cell phones (I'm speaking of the USA), and developing countries are running as fast as they can to "catch up".

Routine geologic events ... now those are things that we have no defense for.  There have been plenty in the not so distant past that would change our current world and culture in a matter of minutes to hours.

Thanks for your reply, Morphy.  Interesting topic.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #47 - Apr 21st, 2014 at 10:40am

[quote author=7B7D70626475110
The current work how of our society,and our projections,and actions, are waay off ,and cannot work forever. It will fail always.

In PC language we could say,the current,collective human Program is not compatible with the Operational system  Tongue [/quote]

Lol I think you are right, we are surely gonna crash Undecided

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #48 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 2:58pm

I agree with the optimism statement. We choose who we are. We choose whether a situation is a curse or a blessing, negative or positive because it's impossible to see the absolute end result of something.

A huge collapse in America would be bad by many people's standards. Certainly there would be an unimaginable amount of lives lost, through famine if nothing else. Yet I don't feel pessimistic about something like that.

When I was young I started having dreams about future events. Both in my own life and in a more general way, world events. Without going into detail, I would say the chances of something massive happening in the world during my natural life span is 100% likely in my mind at this point. Although I've never seen anything specifically about the economy or the petrodollar, many of the things I've seen can't occur without it leaving a massive "reboot of the system", to carry on the computer analogy. So the economy collapsing is a safe bet as well.

Anyways, the only reason I bring up the above is because it's taught me not to look at seemingly catastrophic events as necessarily a doom and gloom scenario.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #49 - May 2nd, 2014 at 5:33pm

I've seen people split the entire tree after felling it Squirrel but does that actually save you anything in terms of labor? If you assume that you're only using muscle power, you still wind up sawing through the same amount of wood.

Once I built a fire on a vacation to a cabin. No wood tools around (and I hadn't brought any). I wound up placing thicker branches across two stones so it was slightly elevated. And then taking a decent sized rock that was fairly flat and throwing it with both hands to the elevated point of the branch.  It worked well enough.

I suppose you could set up a hefty and crude wedge, suspend it from a pully, and use that to break up split but long log sections. But I've never seen anyone with a setup like that. To my knowledge, historically we've bucked and split wood in that order.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)