Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Sling tag/sling dodgeball ammo (Read 22849 times)
thebasketcase

doing the slinger's squat

Sling tag/sling dodgeball ammo
Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:04pm

This has probably been posted before somewhere, but I can't find it and I guarantee that no one is interested in an old thread. However, a good canidate for sling tag ammo is duct tape and latex glove wrapped lead &/or pennies. they should be cylindrical.

1. Take used and deformed lead air rifle shot or shotgun birdshot, or pennies- about 8 of them per "tag glande".

2. take latex gloves and pour the weight in there.

3. take that glove and put in another (to take up space so soften impact). tie the open end of the glove. poke a hole in a finger to prevent air from getting trapped and letting all the shot loose.

4. wrap the gloves in duct tape. it should look like a piece of sushi- the one with the rice under the shrimp or fish- the seaweed wrap symbolizes the duct tape

5. take a patch of duct tape and cover the exposed ends.

6. wrap the almost finished "tag glande" like in step 4 to cover up all loose tape ends.

7. make as many as you need

this is just preliminary but they fit in almost anysling becasue of their shape. they wont break any bones or kill but you will definatley know if you're hit.  Grin

the constant search for the perfect stone

IP Logged

thebasketcase

Re: Sling tag/sling dodgeball ammo
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 12:05pm

If wanted, i will post pictures when i get home.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 3:27pm

I personally think that lead shot... like 3-4mm shot..
would be superiour.
It would spread more on impact, not act like a solid glans....
Zinc dust, if it wasn't so violently reactive with some substances... would probably be superiour from a toxicity standpoint...

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 4:19pm

I'm pretty sure I could kill someone with 10 pennies wrapped in tape coming out of a sling. I wouldn't want to sling anything with a solid component to it.

For any kind of sling tag or dodge sling, you have to assume that there will be full force slinging. It is just instinct.

The solution to not killing your friends is to find an ammo that doesn't but flies well. Personally I'd go simple. I think 20-24" slings and tennis balls should be a reasonable amount of impact while maintaining a good trajectory. If you can find some kind of softer ammo that is just as easily available, then you could use full length slings.

Take a look at archery tag if you want an idea of what sling tag would look like, then just make it a little more ghetto/rugged.  Wink

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

Donnerschlag
Interfector Viris Spurii

I put the 'K' in "Kwality"!

Portland, OR
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 6:09pm

If a running shoe with a 1" thick sole of state-of-the-art high-density foam isn't enough to reduce damage from a heel-first footstrike, then no way is 2 thin layers of latex gonna safely disperse the impact of lead Grin

If you need to put something into potential ammo (which will be easy to go overboard with, btw), then just use sand. You're not going to be able to tell the difference in density between sand and some marginally-denser metal by the time you put padding over it anyways.  Wink

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that shows you tried."
-Bob Ross

IP Logged

thebasketcase

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2014 at 7:10pm

The pennies one are just experimental, i just went with one of the least dense coins I could find, and its not just to layers of latex surrounding it it two whole gloves with some air pockets in there. It squishes quite easily to the touch. And i would agree that used lead shot would be ideal for even half an ounce of #3-4 shot would be plenty of mass, and nothing is ever solid in these "tag glans" because i was afraid of fatalities.  Grin

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2014 at 7:18pm

actually, you know those real dense but not hard foam sheets that a super-friggin elastic?
I dunno what type... but it is often found in electronics packaging(computers) and it is the same foam in gun and bow cases.
If you cut a tennis-ball size gland-like shape... and put a 1/4 oz chunk of rebar in the middle(just cut a hole) and put some duct tape on it... it functions well without killing or even bruising(through a jacket) your best friends.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 7:36am

Don't use metal or even sand for the weight.  Slings kill by blunt force trauma, there is way too much chance of injury with those objects in the center of your projectile.

Like Dan said, go shorter sling and tennis balls or if you don't want to go with tennis balls then go with something with a soft core.  Also, you are going to have to go fairly large, at least tennis ball sized.   And get closer, but use a minimum distance.  Say, 15 large steps?  Anybody tried dried peas in the center of about 1/4 a t shirt wrapped in duct tape?   How about a hacky sack?

IP Logged

thebasketcase

Reply #8 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:21am

I think hack sacks would be perfect! I can't believe I didn't think of it. What sort of range will it stretch out to though?

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 12:23pm

Put a man sized target up and sling the hacky sack at it until you hit it. Then take a step back and repeat until the prospect of hitting the target seems highly unlikely. Then you have reached your maximum distance. Probably around 30 yards but it'll depend on the slinger.

If you are using racquetballs, you wouldn't need a minimum engagement distance and you could just play on a smaller field. Eye protection might be a good idea though. Paintball or airsoft masks would be even better.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2014 at 6:56pm

thebasketcase wrote on Feb 26th, 2014 at 9:21am:
I think hack sacks would be perfect! I can't believe I didn't think of it. What sort of range will it stretch out to though?

Just saying real hackey-sacks hurt a LOT. Tested...
Even if you sling lightly.
A airsoft mask works good, although a helm looks cooler and works better.
Make sure to guard the throat. a hand-thrown tennis ball can easily crush someone's trachea.

IP Logged

Bill Skinner
Forum Moderation

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 12:42pm

No, Squirrel, it can't.  It's possible but not probable.  Otherwise, tennis players would be wearing body armor.

Speaking of which, how about while wearing a heavy coat?  Or improvised body armor such as a piece of old carpet with a hole for your head and tied around your waist?  It will leave your arms, legs and head unprotected, possibly a paintball helmet with mask?

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2014 at 3:34pm

ok... but if someone gets killed by a slung tennis ball...
lol
It doesn't take a lot of force to crush someone's trachea.
roughly 11 pounds. To kill.
A tennis ball moving at about 100 MPH has almost 50 FP of energy...
and it can easily kill you IF it hits your neck.
However, as usually your chin is pointed down... not up...
I'll stick with a thick jacket, maybe some supplemental aluminum plate(1/8th inch) armour in some places.

Just something to be aware of.

IP Logged

thebasketcase

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2014 at 7:49pm

I think the original idea w/ a quarter ounce of fine grit sand would maybe do. I have to do some testing with my uncle's accelerometer.

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 4:47pm

I think molded balls of modeling clay could work, as long as they were not purpoely made to hurt people, i.e. squished very densely.

An easier and cheaper alternative could be densely packed ball of computer/copy paper wrapped in duct tape, but I'll have to try this out some as I only just thought of it. Heavy duct tape would provide the necessary mass for a good throw, but since all it is on the inside is paper, it should be perfectly safe, even when people get the adrenaline rush and start slinging hard as if they were in battle (just watch any paintball game or play one yourself to know what I mean about war-time adrenaline)

Or hey....what about paintballs wrapped in tape for a larger size? A little too expensive though, and at that point why not just use paintball guns

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, LightSlinger, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)