Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The weight of a sling. (Read 5126 times)
English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
The weight of a sling.
Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:28pm

There is much information regarding length, material, construction, and projectiles used for slings, but I would like to talk about the overall weight of the sling.

I believe the weight of the sling as well as the weight of the different sections to be an important factor in using it.

Through my own trial and error, I have found that a heavy retention cord seems to stabilize the rock better when winding up. it also seems to allow for a straighter release. when I apply a mixture of beeswax and mineral oil, i do so in a manner that saturates the entire cord. This adds considerable weight to the cord.

For the release cord I saturate it the same until about 3/4 of the way down, then I use less. this makes the last 1/4 very light in comparison to the rest of the release cord. When it is coated in this way, the cord will open extremely fast and move out of the way straight and rigid.

There is a number of variables happening here and I am quite sure that a lot of this will boil down to personal preference, but I think that it is worthy of consideration to all slingers.

weigh in on this and let me know your own findings about this aspect of slings.   

If you want peace- Prepare for War!

IP Logged

lbfist
Tiro

Sticks and Stones...

Manitoba
Re: The weight of a sling.
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 4:59pm

I like a thicker, weightier sling.  Accuracy improves for me greatly.  The reasoning I believe is I can 'feel' and 'control' the acceleration of ammo in variant weights far better.

It's another reason I prefer flat braided and NON-tapered release cords.  What I lose in velocity I gain in accuracy.  No point in power if I cannot connect.

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” - A.E.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2013 at 9:41pm

Dense, but not super heavy.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 3:23am

I felt that it's the rigidity that helps in controlling the sling. It doesn't let it bend.
Accuracy should be easier with a rigid "stick" ,than with a flex rope.

Just my 2 grams .

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 4:00am

jlasud wrote on Dec 10th, 2013 at 3:23am:
I felt that it's the rigidity that helps in controlling the sling. It doesn't let it bend.
Accuracy should be easier with a rigid "stick" ,than with a flex rope.

Just my 2 grams .

I tend to agree. and to add to that, a heavier sling generally is a more rigid sling. = better control from what I have found.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 5:05am

Yes I've often toyed with the I dea of a along with a stick retention "cord"... Never made anything though

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 7:57am

Tomas wrote on Dec 10th, 2013 at 5:05am:
Yes I've often toyed with the I dea of a along with a stick retention "cord"... Never made anything though

Spring steel wire 16ga my friend Wink

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 8:18am

Maybe using retention cord from paracord with a bit of wire pulled through, would keep the benefit of a thin cord,while giving some stiffness to it,and keeping the release cord just paracord. This way,one might get a sling that's got the best of both skinny and fatty slings.

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 8:48am

Hm... might try that.

IP Logged

English_Marauder
Descens

Balearic Slinger

Canada
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 11:06am

worth a try.

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 12:15pm

I now prefer skinny cords over thick ropes anyway.
But i also remember the stiffness of thick cord,and the feeling of more control over the sling.
Release cord,for me it's got to be very light, and very fast to open.
When i get home,i'll try the wired retention cord.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 1:14pm

Me as light as possible.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 1:23pm

The weight of a sling is rather secondary for me. Regarding accuracy, rigidity in the retention cord is what I personally look for. The retention cord shouldn't bend sideways easily but well in the other direction, as Jlasud said. In braided slings I usually taper the release cord to half or a third of the size of the retention cord. The first 10 cm after the pouch are tapered fast, then steadily down to the final diameter. I think this way the sling opens faster and the stone is less likely deflected by the release cord. Just check for which distance your release cord shows signs of wear Wink. This maybe also depends on the slinging technique.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 3:37pm

There was a debate about this a few years back here. The issue was partly whether heavy cords means more energy spent on actually moving the sling itself, rather than the stone. Up to then, I quite liked heavy cords, but after that, started tapering my release cords.

IP Logged

Pikåru
Interfector Viris Spurii

Experience teaches only
the teachable...

Colorado USA
Reply #14 - Dec 10th, 2013 at 4:47pm

Heavier sling. I want my sling to perform nearly the same, loaded or unloaded.

I sling. Therefore I am. Tano' Hu I Islan Guahan. http://itanohu.blogspot.com

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)