Send Topic Print
Benjamite Slingers (Read 4997 times)
TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Benjamite Slingers
Nov 18th, 2013 at 9:43am

In the Holy Bible, there is mentioned an expert groups of slingers from the Isrealite tribe of benjamin.

Judges 20:16- "And among all of these men were 700 select men who were left-handed, each one could sling a stone at a hair's breadth and not miss"

As I have said in another thread, my father is a seminary student and can read ancient greek and hebrew. In the original languages, the "hair" mentioned is really referring to a human hair, not the rabbit "hare".

This is some extreme accuracy, and again the left-handed accuracy thing comes up again. What do you guys think? Huh

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

Dan
Interfector Viris Spurii
SlingingGuide Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Benjamite Slingers
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 10:47am

The hair deal is pretty common knowledge. Just reading it, its spelled with an I not an E. That's how I knew. Smiley

I interpret the Bible pretty literally. However, even with the best possible slingers, there is still going to be some variation in accuracy because of ammunition variation.

While weapons are used often in the scripture, the word 'accurate' like we would use it today isn't actually used in relation to weapons, only with scales and information.
http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=accurate&qs_version=NIV

I'm not an expert in Hebrew, but my interpretation is that this is the old way of saying 'really accurate'. Similar to how we would say 'he can shoot the wings of a fly'. Kind of like an idiom. Be really careful interpreting scripture that way with other things, and consult your Dad on it before you take it as absolute.

I'm sure they were still really great slingers though, just like David's Mighty Men were great warriors.

I was pretty good at slinging like 10 years ago.

IP Logged

TheSlingin-Injun
Descens

Rope+Rock+Ingenuity=
Firepower

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 11:19am

I know it's spelled with an I, but everytime that I've told this to people that's what they always assume (Rabbit). They find it very hard to believe. What if this was literal though Shocked Shocked Shocked

Amazing skill. I wouldn't deny that it's literal though, considering those west african slingers in sierra leonne can hit a brid at 50+m, imagine at closer 20m or less ranges. I'm sure that while it may not be a shot they would hit everytime, that the benjamites could have done it. But still, the fact that all of Israel went against the one tribe of benjamin, and the benjamites held their own is pretty impressive (even though God was letting the Benjamites win as a test of faith for Israel)

--------------------------- ()_'_'_'_)
==||===={'-_'-_'-_'-}'''''''----'''''\__----___
                               '''|__|''''[)]   ------||
                                             \_\_____||
SVD Dragunov Marksman Rifle
----------
Give me a sling big enough and a place to stand, and I can throw the world!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2013 at 2:52pm

Literally "sling at a hair"

IP Logged

bernardz
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2013 at 9:09pm

Seems to be a lot of Benjaminites, left-handed (Judges 20:16; 1 Chronicles 12:2).

I can see the advantage of a swordsman but is there an advantage in having a left handed person as a slinger in an army?

Would ancient slinger be ambidexterity?

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2013 at 5:22pm

Having seen a guy throwing rugby balls with 4 inch grouping at 50 yards, i can believe the ancient passage that balearic slingers could hit different part of the enemies face at such distance.
It's not a hair, but it's not a very big exaggeration either.
Of course,not all of them were THAT good, but i truely believe they were a lot of slingers,growing up with a sling in their hand,as a child,and being crack shot slingers when they got in their 20 ies,and went into battle.

Respect existance or expect resistance!

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 6:59am

(It's not the Baleares, but the Achaian slingers, from the northern Peloponnese who are said to be able to hit different parts of face. the source is Livy, who is using Polybios, who was an Achaian. SO either he's very well informed or reflects local patriotic exaggeration).

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 7:05am

Oops Smiley But they all belong to the human race,and capable of similar feats Tongue

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 11:03am

(just a simple correction, because it's just as well to keep the details right0

IP Logged

jlasud
Interfector Viris Spurii

Programming stones

Transilvania
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2013 at 2:57pm

I agree.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)